Help my analog sound as good as my streaming

Hi all - total newcomer here, really enjoying the forum and looking for some advice.

Relevant details: Pro-ject Debut Carbon EVO w/ stock Sumiko Rainer cartridge, into a Hegel H95 via a Parasound Zphono XRM. It sounds great-ish, but doesn’t blow me away like Qobuz via Bluesound Node 2i into the Hegel DAC. I’ll acknowledge that this entire system has a lot of room to improve in the eyes of many here - while I suppose I’ll eventually want to upgrade, I am absolutely thrilled with the streaming sound for now. 
Question: is the cartridge the weak link here, or am I expecting too much out of the PDC EVO? If the former, does the Ortofon Bronze seem a good option?

Many thanks for any suggestions/thoughts!
coys21
I love digital. I love the convenience of it. I’ve heard more new things in old recordings because of digital than I ever heard with analog. I’ll never go back, it’s an old technology Dragging a rock across a piece of plastic.
"If you play records manufactured recently, very few of them will blow you away because most of them would sound not much different from streaming"

I wholeheartedly agree with this statement. I'd also echo millercarbon on letting analog be your reference. First though, you need to get some great sounding records. Then you can start to see the way forward in analog.

I'm no Tom Port, but I have had some success tracking down some great sounding copies of a handful of titles. If you're interested feel free to contact me.

You can also learn more on this subject on my website:

http://www.thebrokenrecord.net
coys21 cartridge and tonearm alignment is paramount with any turntable I know people who have very expensive setup that are not up to there potential because of it 
I don't know your turntable or cartridge I would start there spring under your table depends on a lot your floors, rack and more 
I lucky my table was done by Nick at Audio Connection it sounds great 

Enjoy the Music 
Tom
1+ mikelavigne. Best advice so far. There are some people who do not have a long history with vinyl who are just not going to like the inconvenience and the ticks and pops. Until you find yourself overwhelmed by an analog set up stick with your streaming which you are obviously impressed with. Analog costs a lot more money and for some it is just not worth it. Even many of the older audiophiles have offloaded their analog set up and listen only to digital sources. There are many ways to love and listen to music. There is no one right way.
millercarbon7,779 posts02-23-2021 10:04pmThe weak link is you are using digital as your reference. While it is possible to make your analog rig sound as bad as streaming (sorry Mike, but your level streaming and his, come on! At your level everything even streaming sounds good!), why? Don’t put legs on a snake. Learn to recognize and appreciate what your analog rig is doing. Because I assure you, it already sounds leagues better than streaming.

I have read some silly things on here, but this one really takes the cake. It is pretty difficult to combing arrogance and ignorance with lack of self awareness of totally flawed logic all in one paragraph, but you have succeeding with great aplomb! Bravo MC, Bravo!

To the op.  I mean this in a technical way, how old are you?  Most people who did not grow up with vinyl are not that enamored with it, even when presented with very good vinyl. Why would one be enamored with poor separation, higher SNR, frequency response anomalies, etc?  ... though most of the music enjoyment comes down to the mastering.  Back in the "old" day, i.e. 80's/even 90's, engineers, typically stuck in their ways, had not really learned to master for digital. There was some good stuff, but a lot of bad stuff too.  That pretty much changed as people learned the processes, even learning to "flaw" digital to give it color, that while not accurate, was pleasant.

I will state it, and many (not all, probably not even most), will disagree, but there is nothing that vinyl can do that digital cannot. I.e. vinyl can be thought of as a subset of what is possible with high end digital whether it be frequency response, SNR, transient response, and any number of the terms that people make up and assign to vinyl or analog that don't actually exist (except in their minds) and are mainly a product of lack of knowledge of signal processing.

That said, I listen to both, though usually my vinyl listening is post digitization these days.  I find the coloration of vinyl often presents a more pleasing musical experience, and that would mainly be in the rock/pop categories. If I want to listen to more nuanced music such as orchestral and jazz, or acoustic, where I want to enjoy the finest details, warts and all, then digital is my go to.

I think your goal is flawed. I would set a goal of a good vinyl system that allows you to expand access to recording that may be pleasing, no matter the source. Don't expect to be blown away by vinyl, expect to be blown away by certain recording on vinyl that for you are enjoyable.