Anyone else treated poorly by AVA?

Back at the end of December 2020, I placed an order with Frank at Audio by Van Alstine for a Vision SLR preamp. Heard so many good reviews about Frank and his products, I felt that was just what the doctor ordered for my system. At first I was told the custom building of my unit would take up to 3 weeks. Then, as nothing happened, I inquired and was told due to an unexpected high volume of orders, mine would take another 2 weeks. I then told Frank, please tell me if there are any further delays because not knowing is worse than getting bad news. Three weeks past, not a word from Frank. So, almost 2 months past the order date, I called him and he tells me they have a problem, the master technician who builds these units left for another state to care for his wife who got sick. I get that and I hope with all my heart she will be ok. But bottom line is Frank fed me multiple excuses for not performing while not communicating about any of it. It was completely inexcusable. He had my money for nearly two months and did not bother to keep me updated of what was going on. I could not ever recommend AVA to anyone and felt compelled to relate this on this site since I usually see only praise for Frank and I frankly felt the opposite. Worst audio purchasing experience in my 66 years.

128x128baylinor
Some of you have gone quite hard on the OP.  If I were he, I would feel the same way.  It takes but a few seconds to send an email to the customer regarding their order delays.  All of you who are condemning the OP, if it happened to you, I wonder how many of you would complain?   I met Frank at RMAS in 2017 and found him to be in a bad mood.  I introduced myself to him, thanked him for his many contributions to audio and he was quite short with me. As we walked away, my wife asked me “what is his problem and is he always like this”.  That sums it up nicely.   I wouldn’t buy a paper clip from him.  
I don’t want to know about “ Frank”. Any of you giving an excuse to a businessman for NOT communicating don’t get it. It’s called respect for the consumer.
I agree it was handled wrong.. The customer is alway right.

That being said, you should have included he gave you, your money back without delay.

That says something to me too.

I’m at 4 months on a 4-6 week order from Decware. LOL I’ll wait, I’m a retired mechanic... Patience can really cost if you don’t have a LOT of it sometimes..

Decware has a forum going 24/7 so folks get to vent a bit.. They have contacted me twice in 4 month. When I see a parts pull on their web site, I’ll start, peaking out the front room window, 6 weeks later.

I waited 2 years on a Mac repair... 2 years..my friend..
The things I said on that phone, I’m going to hell.. Hope not.. LOL

I actually bought plane tickets, I got so ticked.. I don’t get pissed or mad (well I did twice in 66 years.. Enough of that)...

In any case OP hope you get what you need when you need it... Enjoy the new gear.. I’m lookin’ at a TT, it’s built though.. TT and shipping... my favorite thing..  So is pulling a stick out of my eye.. :-)

Regards
+OP  I read his post, didn't sound as if he felt untitled. I recently sent an amp in to have repaired, the tech contacted me when he was told buy his supplier parts may be held up. It may take longer than expected. In fact he ended up with the parts only a few days late which he communicated to me, then sent my amp priority shipping at great cost to himself (which I told him was not necessary) to guarantee his commitment. That's the way you do business. Personally I think the C19 excuse is being used for incompetence and laziness. 
Unacceptable. If I treated my clients this way I’d be homeless. Get your money back and move on.