Best Server To Run Roon Core

Hi Folks,

I don’t currently run ROON, but would like to begin correctly in order to give it a chance - and I understand that server (hardware) on which Roon core is installed is important for SQ (due to noise reduction and other factors).

What are the best hardware for SQ and usability where ROON core should be installed and why (be it audiophile dedicated servers or modified PCs)? Please comment on the rest of your setup for context if you could.

Thank you in advance.

Ag insider logo xs@2xjmarshak
I watched John Darko’s recent video on how to build an Intel NUC 

https://youtu.be/ZVm_tCoxqyg and thought that would be a nice quarantine project. So for $762.40 I ordered an i7 NUC, 32GB (16GB x2) RAM and a 250 GB SSD. It was simple to assemble. Updating the Bios wasn’t bad and loading Roon ROCK was a breeze. The kind of NUC I ordered has an external SMPS brick. Plus you can adjust how and when the fan operates in the Bios. But in my testing it doesn’t run much. So I tested it against my Innuos Zenith Mk3. The NUCs background is black. Roon Remote runs snappy and doesn’t crash. All my streaming runs great. I have a number of Roon endpoints on my network. Everything runs great. Soon I will attach my Innuos Phoenix after one of my UltraRendus and see. But I have been thrilled with the NUCs performance so far. I sold my Innuos server. I replaced a $5000 retail unit (2TB version) with an overbuilt $762.40 NUC! Now I have some $ to go out and get a good tube Integrated! Highly recommended. 

The new Mac Mini (new M1 chipset) is dead silent, inexpensive, and if you configure it properly, it is a fantastic option.  I’m running it on treated power with an Oyaide C7 for the mains.  Get a quality network cable, shut off Bluetooth and WiFi, and you’re fine running USB directly from the core.  I use an Intona USB 3.0 isolator, but found that I was almost as satisfied with the sound without using it.  I have built multiple Roon cores, built endpoints with custom LPS and DC cables, and this works as well if not better.  You can also optically isolate the server with a pair of media converters.  I’ve been using a certain type of stone for mechanical isolation, perhaps that helps as well.  Even if the core is running in Rosetta for now, I like what I hear.
Another customer very happy with wolf audio system red wolf 2 sx streamer plus Roon core. Had lumin in my system, listened to innuos statement and the wolf is a major upgrade . Started with the wolf 3sx and upgraded to red wolf 2 with separate linear power supply . Main components in the rest of my system is magico m3, ayre Mx-r and kx-r twenty and the awesome t+a sd 3100 hv reference dac.
call joe Parvey with wolf audio system and he will help you with the right server to meet all your needs. A happy wolf customer

I assembled a fanless i5 NUC and run ROCK which is Roons OS optimized for payback within their architecture. I have no idea if it sounds better than other options but ROCK is free, runs headless, updates in the background and has never crashed since I've been using it over 1 year now. It's also one of the cheaper options unless you have an old PC you can use.
@newtoncr -- I’ve heard a lot about Wolf Audio but never had the opportunity to audition their equipment. I would appreciate it if you can describe the improvements over Lumin and Innuos especially in terms of sonic abilities. Lumin is a well known and established company that has been building outstanding products. If Wolf Audio is a major upgrade, that is quite an achievement considering that it’s a family owned business. Looking forward to your comparison.