Embarrassed....Audio furniture help

Well, I swore I'd never let a woman dictate my two channel system but here we are.  Wife and I bought our first new home, I've got a small but adequate second living area for my system.  Problem is, as mentioned, my wife.  Setup will consist of CD player, AppleTV unit and integrated amp.  May add a streamer at some point but we'll cross that bridge later.  I'm using a pair of bookshelves and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

Here's the rub....She is demanding an A/V credenza, so speakers sitting on the credenza on either side of the TV.  Of course I'd love a vertical audio stand and be able to use speaker stands but it's too open, too many exposed cables, blah blah, you know the story.  

Question of the day:  can anyone point me in the right direction?  I need minimum 18" depth and all the awful Crate and Barrel stuff she recommends isn't up to my audio standards.  Needs something with doors for a clean look but I still need my IR signal to work.  Because the speakers aren't going on stands, I'd like something at least 20" tall.  A lot of the fashionable stuff is 14-16" tall, putting the tweeters way below ear level in the listening position.  

Any help would be much appreciated.  

Sincerely,

Man shaking his head with a borderline resigned look

cjlundberg
'...an A/V  credenza...'

Style of furnishings she prefers?  If Crate & Barrel is her initial call, it sounds like vaguely 'rustic modern' which is somewhat conflicting with 'A/V' equipment....although looking at C&Bs' site isn't totally true.  Lotsa modern, although some 'trad frame & panel' are evident.

Sounds like time to do a web wander with the significant other...opting to dump the spouse over furniture seems a bit drastic and potentially expensive.  Remember what R. Williams said about divorce...

Putting the speakers on 'suitably decorative' risers on a low credenza might be an option.  My spouse wants an existing pair of Maggies' in a pending living space, but against the wall when not in song.

Solution:  A pair of flat panel mounts that extend and pivot enough to allow the Mags to 'act proper', yet get moved back against the wall when not in use.  Found a unit that even fits the existing mounting holes in the speakers, so no surgery needed to pull this off.

'Practical Magic' is possible, but thinking outside the box becomes a necessity.....;)

Happy hunting & good luck, J
For most high-end speakers, putting them on a shelf seems to be a bad idea - uncontrolled speaker/shelf vibration interactions, reflected backwaves and sidewaves can muddy the music, speaker height may not be adjustable/ideal.  

@cjlundberg 
If you find the speaker positioning unsatisfactory sonically but cannot change the speaker's location from the shelf, then you may want to go the headfi (headphones/earphones) route.

Some may call it henpecked, others may say it's self preservation.  Usually, it's somewhere in the middle.
I follow Andrew Robinson on youtube. He has a cool credenza he uses made by a company called BDI

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F3DS1N2?ref=exp_andrewrobinson_dp_vv_mw&th=1&psc=1

The front panels are acoustically transparent and allow the uv signals to pass through. The back panels can be removed. Also includes a safety strap for the TV.