Equal $$ for Phono OR Streaming?

Consider the following situation. A friend who's watched me put together my system has decided to follow suit. He's inherited some very good speakers and amplification (no DAC) from a relative and has about wants to finish out the main elements of the system with the best possible source. He has about $4-6k to spend and wishes to spend it on either a phono stage/TT combo OR a DAC/streamer combo. (For content, he is willing to spend either on vinyl or streaming services to fulfill whichever path he chooses above.)

Focusing simply on the potential for sonic quality (rather than, say, the variety of music one can stream), where do you think his money would best be spent and why? Could he reach the same outcomes after spending on a TT, cartridge, phono stage, record cleaner, isolation table and all the other accoutrements necessary for a good phono set up as he could if he bought a good DAC, streamer, etc.?

If your tastes weigh so heavily toward analog or digital that you can simply decide this without considering the details of the comparison, please try to set those aside and answer based on what he might be able to get for $4-6k.

128x128hilde45
That's like asking if you want to collect Model Ts or Hellcats. If he likes nostalgia and rituals, get the Model T (TT). If he likes performance and convenience, get the Hellcat (stream). And there's no need to buy a dedicated streamer unless you want instant on. Ones and zeroes won't know the difference. My "streamers" (a laptop and an Echo Dot) cost $149 and $20 respectively.
Recent posters, the general life advice is appreciated, but he really wants an answer to the question as posed to make his decision. If you don't think it's answerable as posed, he'd appreciate knowing why.
the ps directstream can be equipped with an optional plug in module called a bridge which allows it to receive streamed signal via ethernet and wifi

i tried this unit and found it good but not great, esp in light of its cost of ~4k used w bridge

there is much discussion among users about the sound of these units varying a good bit based on which version of the custom decoding software done by their digital guru ted smith is installed on the fpga... gets somewhat complicated and confusing too

You can play the same song 10 times in a row employing a digital system without leaving your chair. I am about 95% shifted away from my 40 year old TT. Sort of like going to different bedrooms. Miss her for about 5 minutes each night, then I don't. How old is your "friend"?
@hilde45
If you are ONLY considering "sonic quality" as consideration, then Analog is the better choice.  Many audiophiles say that analog is sonically superior to digital, rarely any say it is the other way around.

Digital offers much cheaper media, seemingly endless available content that's easily obtainable, cross referencing metadata for in-depth analysis.  If your friend is interested in exploring music, he should eventually include digital.  I have both.