When is digital going to get the soul of music?

I have to ask this(actually, I thought I mentioned this in another thread.). It's been at least 25 years of digital. The equivalent in vinyl is 1975. I am currently listening to a pre-1975 album. It conveys the soul of music. Although digital may be more detailed, and even gives more detail than analog does(in a way), when will it convey the soul of music. This has escaped digital, as far as I can tell.
mmakshak

As I recuperate from a bout with the flu, it enables me to catch up with this thread :-)

Many provocative positions presented...I just wanted to recognize this post, 12-18-10: Learsfool.

Much appreciated.

Regards,

Sam
May be it has. I was on the threshold of purchasing an EAR tube or Modwright Sony 5400 player and happened to hear a PS Audio DAC/bridge setup through reference full range speakers. I am a vinyl lover (Rega Planar 9/EAR phono preamp) and was very favorably impressed. I read the website and learned that part of the reason for the excellent sound is error free reading of the disc, which generally doesn't happen even with expensive CD players. Furthermore, it uses a Wolfson DAC, which is the same manufacturer as in the EAR acute CD player I was considering. I have been reluctant to consider computer audio because of a learning curve and the amount of time involved. I now believe that it may be worthwhile. Opinions?
Hello my old friends,
I've been away from the 'gon and this thread for about three years (but not from music) and see that not much has changed in the way of mostly valid arguments defending the one medium from the other.
I have not bothered to read my old diatribes which seem ages ago, but my ears have probably not changed, nor has my gear. Digital is still the Zanden chain or the "Spoiler" USB DAC, analog is WAVAC and a heavily modified Goldmund REF and I still cannot stand big orchestral classical music via digital. There is too much missing on ambience and air, but love small combos, Jazz and voices and here I prefer digital mostly over analog. Not to forget old R2Rs properly dished out by my Studer A810. Here many prerecorded classical tapes will clobber digital any day - to my old ears at least.
Cheers to you all and happy listening,
Detlof
Never. The technology is not there to accurately transfer the analog sound wave to digital w/o loss of info. Ever listen to cymbal strikes on a good analog rig versus a great digital rig ? All cymbals mostly sound alike on a digital rig...not so with analog. An experienced drummer probably can tell if a cymbal strike was on a Paste or zildjian cymbal. Good luck trying to descern that on digital playback.