Equal $$ for Phono OR Streaming?

Consider the following situation. A friend who's watched me put together my system has decided to follow suit. He's inherited some very good speakers and amplification (no DAC) from a relative and has about wants to finish out the main elements of the system with the best possible source. He has about $4-6k to spend and wishes to spend it on either a phono stage/TT combo OR a DAC/streamer combo. (For content, he is willing to spend either on vinyl or streaming services to fulfill whichever path he chooses above.)

Focusing simply on the potential for sonic quality (rather than, say, the variety of music one can stream), where do you think his money would best be spent and why? Could he reach the same outcomes after spending on a TT, cartridge, phono stage, record cleaner, isolation table and all the other accoutrements necessary for a good phono set up as he could if he bought a good DAC, streamer, etc.?

If your tastes weigh so heavily toward analog or digital that you can simply decide this without considering the details of the comparison, please try to set those aside and answer based on what he might be able to get for $4-6k.

128x128hilde45
Well, I like the idea of owning both sources. Streaming works well for no fuss music and to discover those LPs or CDs one wants to own. 

With 6K one could purchase a  Streamer/DAC combination like the one Hide45 owns, and his friend heard, and have ~$4000 for a TT system, when in a more hobby focus mode, enjoying a music session. 

If the TT becomes the primary requiring greater cost, then just purchase the Bluesound Node 2i and use it's internal DAC for music discovery. Improvements could be made with an external DAC at a later date.
Yup.

Sometimes being a copy cat is the smart course of action. Especially when copying someone you know and trust, not just some guy posting opinions about what sounds best (likely things that you have never even heard) on a website that is there mainly to sell things.

Many of those same guys would likely also tell you themselves (in other contexts) that you can’t know how something sounds until you actually here it.

Who wouldn’t like to have things both ways if permitted?
The most entertaining thread I've read in a while! Lots of great points and specific recommendations have been made. So let's talk about UX.

User experience preferences should be greatly taken into consideration. Much has made of the downsides to vinyl, like cleaning records. I don't mind spending an hour or two cleaning a pile of LPs, slipping them into a nice new sleeve and knowing they'll be clean basically for eternity. Other loath the core, don't do it, and then complain about "clicks & pops" as if they are inevitable. They aren't.

Does ownership of a collection matter to you? ...full size art and liner notes? The whole millennial vinyl craze seems often as much about the physical experience of playing/owning/displaying records as the sound quality. 

On the other hand, are you a playlist junkie? If so, digital is clearly your friend, not much debate there...70s mixed tapes notwithstanding, ha. 

Flipping albums, especially with audiophile 45s just isn't for everybody. Some love the required focus and get more out of the music, while others would rather play a song, turn on Roon Radio and let it go for hours at a time.  Side-note: gotta admit that adding a tonearm lifter is something I'm glad I did, and can be a real stress reducer at times.

On the digital side, how tolerant are you of software bugs, Apple & Windows updates breaking things, and buggy wifi/internet connections? Recently I spun about 5 albums while holding & talking with AT&T internet and Eero tech support teams over issues affecting my audio streaming...irony! 

Which tragedy hits home: the friend whose basement flood ruined a rack of album covers or the friend whose hard drives crashed and he lost all his hirez downloads? 

Does post-pandemic record shop & garage sale browsing sound like fun or a chore? I am always energized by a couple of hours LP-hunting!

OP, it's worth asking your friend about these considerations to get a sense of their mindset, habits and that may point you to the right side of the fence. Then get down to specific gear. 

Personally, I'm put a small amount into a Raspberry Pi, Intel NUC running Roon and a cheap decent dac like SMSL or Schiit and invest the other 80-90% into analog. Agree with comments about digital depreciation. This route would allow a change w/o huge loss down the road if he'd rather go all in on the digital side.

Cheers,
Spencer

Post removed 
Let’s look at this logically, the amount you are willing to spend on either idea should be the answer to the question.  If you have good speakers and a good amplifier you will only get good sound. (Not Great) I was in the same position and chose to go with a NAD streaming amp with a built in DAC.  Even with a great turntable which would cost so much more than you want to spend, you will still only get the sound reproduction equal to the rest of your equipment.  Streaming will give you good audio reproduction and so much more music to choose from at a monthly cost which would be less than the cost on one album.  Probably with at least equal sound. I think streaming is the future of audio for the masses. Once you reach a point where you can spend whatever you want, you decision might change.  My ears are not that great and my system sounds as good as I can hear.  Total cost for everything $20,000.