The indisputable benefit of fiber for music

I've read a lot about fiber's audible superiority to Ethernet, and most of it I have taken with a grain of salt.  1GigE is plenty fast for just about anything, and it is balanced and galvanically isolated. The one area where fiber is clearly a better choice for music systems is lightning protection.

It is not uncommon for lightning to enter a home via the cable TV's coaxial cable. This can easily jump the millimeters from coax to Ethernet to Ethernet. So if you are like me, and rely on Ethernet cabling to stream to avoid any Wifi issues you are also creating a possible lightning path from the external Internet provider's connection all the way to your fancy audio gear.

In this one situation I have to say, the use of a 1m or longer fiber cable is the superior solution. I'm considering using this at the junction between the cable TV modem and my router, therefore isolating all of my streaming devices at once.

Best,

Erik
erik_squires
Using Ethernet to Fibre media converters at each end and an optical cable will isolate RF noise from the router end to the streamer, but it will introduce some noise of it own. It will give a bigger soundstage and more detail. The media converters and their PSU’s will introduce noise of their own though, albeit at a lower level. Using an ENO filter just before the streamer will filter out this last bit of noise making things even better.
Another option:
Between modem and router (Orbi satellite), I have a 5 Ghz WiFi backhaul. Seems to me, I get the same protection as fiber against lightning (along with absolute protection from mice). Galvanic isolation, too, and less cable clutter.  Haven't noticed issues with drop-outs.  No new converters and PSUs at either end as needed with fiber.  Complete flexibility if I want to move the router.  No drilling, no stapling.  As I recall, at least one HiFi company (Auralic?) recommends WiFi over ethernet for best sound quality (though I'm skeptical it makes much difference if we're comparing equally strong signals). 
I have tried optical and gone down the Uptone EtherRegen route. Not a bad solution and definitely improved sound quality. However with the introduction of the Network Acoustics ENO filter and silver ethernet cable I found the best sounding streaming solution these ears have ever heard. I placed an English Audio 8Switch ahead of the ENO filter and Ethernet cable and the results are a revelation.

Innovation is changing this space pretty quickly folks. 
I think I will prefer to not worry about either...instead, I will just put on a record and drop the stylus, or press play on my cd player, or insert a cassette into my 3 head tape deck. All the above will sound better, at least to my ears.