Do different streamers really sound different when using an external DAC

Maybe this has been posted before but it seems that often when a post is made where someone has gotten better sound it’s because it was the streamer with included DAC that was changed, not just the streamer. No doubt a better internal DAC,  better file resolution, a better music service, will make a difference.

But I just want to see comparison of streamer to streamer with the same DAC implementation. I am currently using a Bluesound Node2i outputting via Coax into a high quality tube DAC
So here’s the million dollar question.

What have been your experiences in upgrading streamers, keeping everything else the same ie, DAC, cables, output type (Coax)? No doubt better control apps and having a display will elevate your experience but how about just sound quality. Anyone?

Thanks

128x128alvinnir2
@sbank 

Thanks for that Spencer. Interesting to read about the Sonore. Unfortunately not a solution for me as my new DAC does not have a USB input and I really LOVE this DAC. The first thing I will do is switch to an ethernet connection, easy to implement. Then moving up the streamer food chain would be a good move I suspect, something like an Auralic streamer perhaps. Certainly open to suggestions in that area, but want to avoid products that have a buggy or unfriendly control app. The control app is one of the nice things about the Node 2i.

Anyone have experience with using the USB input as a sole method of accessing music files on the Node 2i, as opposed to NAS. In the past not really a viable option with traditional hard drives but with the price of SSDs now might be worth considering.
@alvinnir2, one thing to keep in mind when researching various streamers is that many (maybe most) aren't tied to one control app like the Blu and Aurelic, which both are known for pretty nice apps. Look for references to DLNA, UPnP and/or Open Home renderers in streamers. This will tell you that they're compatible with any control app of that type. For example, I used the Lumin app mostly. Linn Kazoo, 8player, Audionet and others can be used with many, many streamers. 

This more open nature was a deciding factor for me years ago when I chose my Sonore over an Aurelic. I didn't want to get tied in with software dependent on a relatively small company that's mainly a hardware manufacturer. Now that Aurelic's newer models are Roon Ready I'd be far less concerned, since Roon has >100K subscribers and agreements with a huge number of hardware manufacturers. With Roon doing the software, I enjoy a better experience and have a much higher level of confidence that my gear will soon be obsolete in that regard.

Cheers,
Spencer
@sbank ,
Great point!
I ended up with Innuous-mostly because I can run two systems simultaneously- something most streamers don't offer.
But, being able to use either Squeezebox or Roon is a plus.
Though I hate paying for software, I think I am going with Roon as it has a nice interface. Squeezebox seems a little rough around the edges, but what do you expect for a $5 software program?
Bob
i agree w the point that streamers' sound quality needs to be balanced against the quality and flexibility of the user interface it affords - it is a huge part of the quality of the user experience!

early on i tried a volumio primo... a very well reputed streamer, but i just could not enjoy the interface and how it interacted with services like tidal... how to save or bookmark music etc etc

i have also tried some of the generic dnla interfaces like bubble-upnp... it’s ok but not all that great to me

part of the reason why i gravitate back to the bluesound... somehow blu os is more agreeable to me, more polished and also more flexible and easy to use

that been said, many i know just love roon and find the additional monthly cost very much worth it - i have been resisting trying it for fear of liking it... 😆