Upgrading phono stage

Hello all,

I have a modest system that I have been adding and changing in small increments. I am using a Rogue Audio Sphinx V2. I love the sound of this integrated especially for the money. I am wondering how much I have to spend on a seperate phono stage to get a marked improvement from the built in. I have read that many think the built in phono stage for the Sphinx is quite good. I have zero experience with outboard phono stages. The prices are all over the place and I would like to spend under a $1000 but if that is not enough to make a big change then I will wait and go bigger in the future. I am using a Ortofon 2M Blue at the moment.

Thank you
cpdkee
https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lisa7659-icon-audio-ps2-mm-tube-phono-amp-best-sound-and-value-xma...

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

1000.00 NEW, 12AX7 x3 point to point, MM or High output MC you can get different configurations.. Stick with your MM for now, little bit at a time..

Your doing just fine, 12k carts.. yea, you might want to say away from that one.. talk about 1000.00 to spend and bring up a 12k cart. I got to laugh.. Excuse please..

Reminds me of the song "I got a brand new pair of roller skates" SO WHAT... 12k carts, 20k cables, 150.00 fuse guy.. I’m impressed.
I just did a whole system for 600. 00. I'm waiting on 110.00 worth of woven and ribbon cables. I think they wanted 6K for them state side or Norway LOL That’s impressive.

Regards
@mijostyn,

I made a commitment to purchase the new Linear Tube Audio phono stage when it starts production in a few months and this was before the Ifi purchase. I expect the LTA will be better.
You really need to state what you are looking for.  So many times people want something "better" but never state what qualities they want that are lacking in their current gear.  So everyone chimes in with suggestions and again state is a given product is "better" but don't qualify their suggestion with useful info.  Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine.

Now with that out of the way, I have a little Bellari VP 129 that shocks me with what can be bought for under $300.  This unit is for MM only.  It is quiet.  The tonal quality is superb.  Rich and golden warm but not at the expense if detail or dynamics which are very good.  It's also super affordable to roll in premium quality tubes to tweak the sound.  I have a current production Mullard tube that is so good and have not yet rolled in the Tung Sol. (You can buy premium tubes that are tested AND listened to for an easy on the wallet price via Upscale)  

Used with Project Xpression table, Ortofon OM 20e Super, Sennheiser HD 660s.  (the headphone section is quite good as well on the Bellari)
So much great info and I appreciate all the responses. It is a little hard for me to say what I am looking for other then "better".

When I upgraded from my Onkyo receiver to the Rogue I was blown away by the sound quality and warmth of the class D compared to the Onkyo.

When I went from the $100 audio techica cartridge to the Ortofon 2M blue I was impressed at the increased Soundstage and "real" life feel comparatively.

When I rebuilt my Epicure M-150's it was like I was hearing a quality in the music I had not heard before.

When I switched in my new to me KEF 104/2's I was hearing instruments and notes I didn't know were on tracks I have been listening to for 20 years.

I dont know if I could have told you what I was looking for other then better and more of a "sitting in front of the band experience". So far all of these changes have been truly moving and I find myself reaching for a record rather then the TV controller more then ever. I am certainly happy with my humble setup. I know there is more out there. I like the idea of experiencing incremental changes. Sure I could spend $20,000 on a set up that should be the "last" set up but..... I am really enjoying slowly evolving. Not sure if that makes sense. 

Rather then asking for specific brands. Will  a outboard phono stage costing $1500 or less be better then the onboard in the Sphinx or should I upgrade the 2M blue to a cartridge in the $500 range. Where will I achieve the more impressive jump?