FTC may end amplifier rule! ACTION NEEDED

Sharing an important issue you all may or may not already be aware of. Gene from audioholics did a full video on this linked below. The FTC may end the amplifier rule so that companies can go back to making misleading claims on power output of their amplifiers. We should all get on the govt website and comment to try to stop this from happening!

https://www.regulations.gov/document?D=FTC-2020-0087-0001

https://youtu.be/VJMD3h-h8fk
jwl244
@rodman99999 why not expect truth in specs? Specs are supposed to tell you the technical aspects of components. An average consumer may assume the denon to produce 140 watts per channel 11 channels driven. The only reason I can quote the 64 wpc is because someone bothered to measure it.
"... The only reason I can quote the 64 wpc is because someone bothered to measure it..."

I can't remember the requirements of the FTC method exactly but the FTC measurement only requires two driven channels. So multi channel amps are exempt from testing that might be more telling. So there is another reason the FTC requirement is obsolete and doesn't help the consumer. Frankly, I go by weight. Big iron and big toroid transformers weigh a lot and tell you more about power capabilities. So I say the weight per channel measurement is what consumers need to know. Perhaps with a class D correction factor, LOL. 
The FTC rule leveled the playing field between amp manufacturers! This was introduced in the 1970s because there were some pretty outrageous claims being made- get an early 1970s Radio Shack catalog and look at the power claims they were making. It was not uncommon for a 5 watt amp to be rated at 10 watts per channel- or higher, since there was no requirement for both channels to be driven.
The FTC rule is a very good thing.
All good manufacturers take pride in their products and would not start publishing misleading specs even if allowed. I believe that would include all of the brand names that audiophiles love.
If one did decide to cheat, the multiple great minds in the DIY community would test their product and let the results be known soon enough.
Please read the Stereophile article on the issue which is less sensational. AFAIK, they are not doing away with measurements altogether, just the preconditioning requirement which has caused amp makers to overbuild and overspend on heat sinks with little practical value. It also unfairly stigmatizes Class A in favor of Class D.
Kind of curious that I’ve been looking at one specific case of this. The Luxman 590axII integrated amplifier is a great example. Luxman has to list it as a 30W/ch amp due entirely to the preconditioning rule, otherwise it would be a solid 100 Watts.

In order to meet the FTC specs for 100 Watts they would have to build a chassis twice the size with proportionately larger heat sinks.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/ftc-proposes-eliminating-its-amplifier-rule
Personally, I'd love to see amps get lighter and cheaper from all makers. :)