Last Audition - Blown Away By A Lottery System

I went into a local B&M store and did a quick listen to an integrated and speaker pair around 6K.  I was just chatting with the sales guy, and I said thanks and was going to walk through the rest of the listening rooms.  He volunteered to take me to another room that wasn't in use.

This room was sparsely populated with two systems, as opposed to the other room that had a dozen speakers and several dozen pieces of electronics.  He streamed a song that I heard on the other system.  Without knowing exact models of equipment:
Moon player
Moon pre
Moon mono blocks
Focal Utopia
cables & IC unknown

The sales guy is watching my expression, which is disbelief, and then starts quoting the prices which totaled $380K.
That is the most expensive stereo I've ever heard, and was floored at the amount and quality of the sound - a dream system for sure.  Kind of gives me an insight to what some of you discuss here, but couldn't relate myself.

I'm screwed!  My budget only allows $20k, and that's probably what the cables in that system cost.

I bought a lottery ticket on the way home.  LOL.
bgm1911
@bgm1911
Heavily dependent on type of music you like, you’ll need to decide:
1) Source type: Analog, Digital, or both
2) Midrange warmth/bloom vs neutral/linear
3) Amount of desired bass energy

1) For the components:
Base system: Preamp>Amp>Speakers
Analog: turntable+tonearm+cartridge>phono-stage
Digital: server>streamer>DAC, optional transport
Cables
2) Generally speaking: tube electronics gives the midrange warmth but the tube amps are generate low power. So with tube amps you have to match with an efficient speaker or add more tube+electronics ($) to increase power. SS (Solid State) electronics offer significantly more power, better linear response, better defined bass, and often better highs (treble). Some folks combine a tube preamp with a SS amp to get more power.
3) If bass energy is important, then you’ll need to move a lot of air aka more power needed.

You may want to choose your electronics first then decide which speakers match, or choose your speaker first then decide on the supporting electronics.

If you want to stretch your dollar, buy used gear carefully. You can even try out used gear thru buying and selling which should minimize your cash outlay. But keep in mind that selling a particular brand/model takes time based on demand.

The technology and sound quality of DACs has been growing fast the last few years. If a DAC is required, I’d choose a more recent model.

Cables - at least upgrade from stock or box store products. Many believe that "power" cables are the most important. Some companies allow a free trial time like 30days.

Integrated Amps (PreAmp+Amp) are cheaper than separates because it saves on casework and additional cables. Some include or are optional: a DAC and/or a phono-stage which is also cheaper than buying separates - make sure you research their performance.

Great price/performance gear:

Turntable+tonearm:
Mofi Ultradeck $2k, $2.5k with MasterTracker cartridge

Speakers-
GoldenEar offers great price/performance as well as Tekton, but be aware that Tekton speakers are relatively large.

PreAmp+Amp-
ELAC Alchemy DDP-2 Preamplifier/DAC/Streamer +
ELAC Alchemy DPA-2 Stereo/Mono Amplifier (210 wpc)
both for $5k ($4k on sale now at Audio Advice)
Designed by Peter Madnick of Constellation Audio fame

SS Integrated-
* Hegel H390 includes DAC (250wpc) $6k
* Cambridge Audio Edge A includes DAC (100wpc, Stereophile measured 145wpc) $6k
* Aesthetix Mimas (150wpc) $7k (add $1250 each for DAC and phono options; $500, headphone amp. The phono option got a great review in TAS Feb 2021 issue)
* Krell K300i (150wpc) $7k (add $1000 for optional DAC) - Class A amplification (tube-like warmer sound without the power limitation). This was my final choice until I blew my budget on used Constellation Inspiration electronics (TAS 50 Greatest Bargains in High-end Audio)

Hope this helpful, best of luck
Of course, if your room persists to be a problem, you could always take it out of the equation and go with high-end headphones and a great tube headphone amp!

I’m using Focal Sopra 2 speakers with a Simaudio 700i Integrated Amp and CD player with Discovery Cables. It’s a great combination.  
If you'd like to be totally blown away within your budget, do what it takes to audition the Dutch & Dutch 8c.   It's a totally engineered package of loudspeaker, with built-in active crossover, amplification, DAC and DSP EQ.   Add a laptop as your digital source and you're done buying audio gear.  You don't even need speaker cables.  Just good CAT-5 network cables.

They will totally blow your mind.