preamp and dac volume

My ESS Sabre based DAC has the volume implementation. DAC volume goes from 0-100. For a long time I ran it with the DAC at 100 and controlled the volume solely with the Pre. I just recently moved the DAC to about 88 and turned the volume up a bit on the Pre. I think I like it much better this way. What do you peeps do who gots a DAC with volume and a Pre?

UPDATE: just found the other thread on this and going through it now.
128x128jbuhl
I give it a try over next couple days and get back here.
Be interesting to see where your volume level is for loud listening direct to amp, using balanced and also rca

Cheers George

I go 100 but if you like 88 better with yours it’s kosher. I also go 100 with all streamers (one has a hardware pot.) For a while I went lower on DAC  to match phono.  No change in SQ. Now phono has adj. gain setting.
I go 100 but if you like 88 better with yours it’s kosher.
Depending on what dac it is, and how "much gain" they've used after the ESS D to A chip in the output buffer, 100 "could" over load the input section stage of a preamp if it has one before it's volume control, this "could" be the reason he liked it better at 88 from the dac than 100. 
All the more reason to go direct.

Cheers George
Agree with George,

just ditch the Pre and live happy ever after. If you can find some Bybee Golden Goddess RCA‘s use those on the power amp.
I got vinyl source as well.

The DAC is a Wadia 321 , Made by Mcintosh group at the time and very similar to the D100.