How to go about collecting Classical Music

At age 68 I’ve started to like Classical Music. It’s been mostly Jazz, Rock n Roll, and R&B up to now. I’m familiar with those genres, know their history, artists, and how to best and most economically acquire their recordings. Not so the Classical repertoire which covers a much longer time period and encompasses so many styles and forms.

What genres and/or periods of Classical music should I be exploring? I’m not looking for recommendations on particular composers or artists, only genres or periods. In Classical music there is orchestral music, chamber music, opera, church music and who knows what else to try out. Maybe you could advise me, if you wouldn’t mind, of some types to try? Or maybe you could recommend a book on the subject that would help a rookie get a start understanding what’s out there.

In buying classical music, for any one work, there may be innumerable recordings by various artists, orchestras and ensembles. How do you sort out which recordings you want in that respect. For example, I looked up Stravinsky’s Rites of Spring on Ebay last night to get some idea of pricing and what classical music available there. There were so many recordings of that work, I would have no idea how to sort out which would have been a good choice. Are there web sites where there are recommendations on which recordings are most exceptional? Or alternately, are there classical record labels you can rely on routinely to provide superior quality recordings? I’ve heard Deutsche Gramophone may be a reliable label for one, but that’s about it. Could you recommend any other labels to look for?

There seems to be a lot of Classical music in SACD format relative to Jazz or Rock n ’Roll. Is there some reason for that? Should SACD be the format of choice for purchasing Classical music, or is there good classical material in Redbook format to be found? I prefer to stay away from used vinyl due to condition issues, or new vinyl due to cost. I’m guessing the better dynamic range of CD’s lends itself to orchestral music. Is there any market for used classical SACD’s? Are there any sites you prefer to purchase your Classical CD’s, either new or used?

I grew up on Long Island. On one trip to midtown Manhattan I walked into an old church not too far from St. Patrick’s to view its’ magnificent stained glass window. Once inside I heard some equally magnificent classical organ being played. I discovered the church’s incredible organ was being played by some of New York City’s finest classical organists who would book time to practice on it. That large church was always deserted, and I went back many times for what amounted to free private concerts. I’d like to know what kind of music that was to try and replicate that experience to some degree at home, From what I’ve read here and elsewhere there surely is a plethora of other wonderful Classical music to explore and enjoy. Thanks in advance for any advice,

Mike

skyscraper
The timeline is a good idea to get you started, but the one posted above is too basic to be useful.

You need to discover what styles/periods and what genres of music you enjoy.  As you say, everything from solo instruments, piano, etc., through to full orchestra + chorus.

For initial toe-dipping, youtube will do.  There's a lot of classical music on there to be sampled.

Have a listen to:

Dowland, consort of viols
Biber, Rosary Sonatas
some Bach, or Telemann, or Handel
some Mozart
some Haydn
some Beethoven
some Chopin nocturnes
some Dvorak
some Mahler (symphony 4)
some Debussy
some Stravinsky
some Gorecki (symphony 3)
some Arvo Part

You'll get an idea of different periods/styles, and then you can start digging deeper.
Now is a great time to be interested in classical music because interest overall is dwindling so you can easily buy records and CD on the cheap an try things....not a big investment. Just go with your instincts and don’t even think twice about it.

Not to mention the calming influence on the soul classical music can deliver especially older souls capable of appreciating it..........

Then there is all the music one can stream for a reasonable monthly fee on Spotify, Tidal, you name it.

Just do it! Read up on things and just follow your instincts and enjoy the journey. Don’t make it complicated!

Free availble Internet Radio stations and even classical FM radio (gasp) stations if one in your area are also very good ways to get exposure with little or no risk.
Not to mention the calming influence on the soul classical music can deliver especially older souls capable of appreciating it..........
Heck no!!!!  I listen to classical music because it stirs my soul and my emotions to a degree that no other genre is capable of doing.  
Skyscaper,  I'm 67 and made the switch to classical at the tender young age of 19.  In effect, we are mirror  images, because I am trying to  reimmerse myself into popular music.  I also share a preference for owning physical media, although I am not opposed to streaming in principle.   You've gotten a lot of advice here.

For beginners, there is no substitute for a good radio station.  I'm not just talking about traditional over the airwaves broadcasts, but also radio stations that can be accessed by computer.  I frequently listen to Radio Swiss Classic while I am working at my computer.  Even with a music collection of about 1000 classical CDs and nearly 50 years of listening experience, I on occasion am treated to something I haven't previously heard or a performance of a familiar piece that offers something of interest while listening to RSC.

Don't spend much money fishing for something because it is on a particular label or by a particular orchestra or conductor.  It is really not a cost effective approach.  BTW, DG is one of the consistently worst sounding labels.  The early 80's stuff may be the worst of the worst, but I've heard some recent stuff that is shamefully bad.  Until you get your feet on the ground, don't waste time and money buying something you haven't heard.
Lowrider, the DG Beethoven box set I was referring to is the boxed set they put out in 2019 containing 123 CD’s and ostensibly all of his works, The Naxos and Warners sets do have some oddities the DG set doesn’t include from what I read last night. It may be out of print however per DG, although only of stock via Amazon. Getting that set would be starting off a Classical collection with a bang. Is that the set you were referring to in your above message.

Twoleftears, listening to classical content on youtube is an excellent idea and exactly what I’ve been doing the past couple nights. I will listen to the ones you suggest hopefully this evening. I’d really in need of a context for what I’m listening to in terms of periods, style, genres, types of presentation etc. as you say. I’ve an old reference book, the Encyclopedia of Music by Norman Lloyd, that’s primarily focused on Classical music that may be of some help in figuring this out.

Eric and Rshak, that’s a good idea to listen to some radio broadcast content. I do have a vintage Phase Linear tuner I could reinstall in my system fairly readily, Although I’m on the edge of their broadcast range out here in the countryside oftentimes I can pull in the NPR signal. They often broadcast Classical. Good idea and maybe I can pull up some internet radio stations as well on the computer.

Articdeth and Petg60, the local Goodwill and thrift stores are an excellent idea. Same as you, I’ve flipped through lots of old Classical material looking for some few and far between rock gems. Although out here in the western part of Virginia it’s primarily Country and Western filling the bins. A lot of the used Classical vinyl seems to be in way better condition than most older rock and roll records that were probably owned by teenagers. I don’t recall ever being one.

My late wife, who loved Classical, and I almost bought a collection of about a thousand classical records in beautiful condition about ten-fifteen years ago. They were consigned to a local antique mall, apparently from someone’s estate, and being sold for about a dollar or two apiece. I raced home that Saturday afternoon after spotting them, and we agreed on an offer to make for the entire lot.

That Sunday morning, all excited, I went back to make our offer, I walked to the back of the mall to take a last look, and was shocked to find the booth was empty. All thousand were gone, lock stock and barrel, sold and trucked off by some dealer who beat us to the punch the evening before. Oh well.

Roik2id, I’ll check what DISH Network has to offer. They do have numerous musical channels I’ve always had deprogrammed. Good thinking.

Larryi, I’ll check out the Arkivmusic site and keep in mind the suggestion on the remastered DG material.

Thanks again all, and I'll get back to the rest of you who posted while I was writing this later today.

Mike