Speaker configuration Marantz 2270

I just received a Marantz MIJ 2270 from the late 70's. Looking for speaker opinions. I tested the unit on a pair of very cheap pair of bookshelf speakers. Granted the speakers were terrible, but I could tell the system could benefit from a sub; or a full range tower with bass speaker.

I am working within a budget of about 400-650ish. My experience with high end stereo equipment is limited, but am familiar with live speaker gear. I like the punch you can get from monitors, but have to keep in mind I would need a speaker that would like a lower powered signal being I'm working with 70 watts per channel, another reason to look at smaller
speakers.

In doing a search I noticed many people felt a sub of some sort is needed. I have found a few older passive subs with smaller drivers that had decent specs. I would like to entertain a passive sub as to get more the Marantz sound versus a powered sub. I would be concerned in blending
two set of speakers not knowing if I would need a crossover or not.

Being i am a newb I may be completely off base with my assumptions.
What suggestions could any of you provide me for my quest?

Thank you in advance
ricplaya
I have a Marantz 2252B that sounds wonderful paired my Klipsch Fortes, Quartets, Heresy's, and Heresy II's. All are very efficient(95dB+) and have plenty of punch with the Fortes and Quartets being very punchy down low. If you like the "live" sound, these all will do the trick and you will easily stay within your budget.

Bill
In my research I have heard good things about Klipsch products. Punchy in your face with good dynamics is the common phrase I read in regards to that brand. I would def benefit from a trip to a high end audio store to get a better feel from these brands. Klipsch was one that could be found in my price range that sounded like it had the characteristics that I would find very appealing.
Vintage Klipsch KG4's ( used $300ish in great condition ) work very well with Vintage Marantz..