Upgrade cartridge or something else?

Here's a friend's turntable:

Current model Rega P3 with the RB330 arm. It has been upgraded with the Groovetracer Reference sub-platter, the Rega tungsten counterweight, the Rega white belt and the Rega Neo PSU speed controller along with a linear power supply upgrade.

The first cartridge was the Rega Elys 2. The Elys 2 was replaced by the Clearaudio Performer ($400 at that time), which was a definite improvement in sound quality.

Do you think that this table is where it should be or should the Clearaudio Performer be upgraded and if so, what would the practical dollar limit be in this case? Should he consider doing something else instead?

Thank you for your input.
Ag insider logo xs@2xmwh777

There is no reason to buy cartridges from questionable suppliers who may not be around in a year. When you hear "money back guarantee," alarms should go off.

Be careful, you'll be accused of attacking.......

ozzy62
"
Ok, where do you draw the line. If a manufacturer can advertise what he has for sale in THIS forum, why can’t I."

It is not for you, me, or other registered users to this site to "draw the line" that is for the moderators to decide, establish and enforce. The same rules apply to all here as best as I can determine.
FWIW the dealer is running an advertisement on that product mentioned as well as others on this site. I don't believe it works in my interest as a potential buyer and user of a product for a dealer to have to sit on his hands to keep from clapping about something that is as good as the hype, after all I bought one and am blown away with it and for one would like to see others enjoy this product, again money back guarantee on a cartridge. Just sayin.
@mwh777 - having gone through the constant and $$$expensive upgrades to my own Rega Planar II - I would recommend replacing the turntable before you get too far into those upgrades

Some might say that is throwing the baby out with the bathwater, but you can get a reasonable price for your Rega to help fund its replacement.

I would recommend a Music Hall product - anything from the MMF-3.3 and up..

If you can afford it - go for the MMF 7.3
- the features are excellent
- comes with the Ortofon 2m Bronze
- will satisfy for years to come and
- will keep sounding better as you upgrade other related components/cables

music hall mmf-7.3 turntable, pre-mounted Ortofon 2M Bronze cartridge (musichallaudio.com)

I like my turntable now, but the only thing that is still Rega is the plexiglass cover, the motor and the ON/OFF switch
The biggest improvement was upgrading the arm to an Audoimods Classic arm - it uses the Rega Arm tube, but that is where all similarity to a Rega arm ends.

Hope that helps - Steve
First, thanks to everyone who actually stayed on topic.

Next, just a reminder that the table in question is a friend's table, not mine.

I appreciate those who have been able to respond with simple answers to a simple question instead of wanting to get into a more holistic view of this. I will leave that for another thread.

So far there are a few more votes for cart replacement than table replacement and none for additional upgrades. I would vote for either cart or table replacement. 

Thanks to millercarbon for the suggestions. Friend Jim is a far less sophisticated audiophile than those at your level. He is near the polar opposite of the analytical purist. While he is learning that improvements to the "sound" will propel his appreciation of the music, for him the music (musicality) will always be the focus.

Let's not start getting into what musicality means. There will never be any agreement between what it means to the analytical purist and what it means to his polar opposite. (I happen to be on the other side of the fence from the analytical type.)

To mijostyn, The Maestro cart is in the running. My personal cart is a Maestro V2 on a very upgraded Linn LP12 and an Audio Origami arm.

To williewonka, food for thought for sure.