For those that use an external DAC with node 2i

Please describe the shortcomings of the node2i dac, as well as what to specifically expect to hear as an improvement with a truly better (not just different and external dac). My node seems to have what I'd call a bit dark smoothed sound. Cymbals seem a bit faint, but trying another dac that presents a more forward louder cymbal seems to sound less recessed and smoothed; thereby exchanging a bit of dark(warm?) smooth depth for more forward brighter presence that is more forward enveloping but with less depth. It's weird, because depending upon the song one may sound better than the other. I'm not sure which sound is truly more accurate, or even which one I prefer consistently, but I would like to make a choice and start listening to my music instead of critically analysing each component back-and-forth. Perhaps I'm not using enough of a drastic improvement dac, but I'd like to figure that out too. I do realize a lot of what sounds better to one person is different than what another likes, but so far, I'm leaning towards the dac where the cymbals seem louder/brighter even though it's at the expense of what seems to me to maybe be a darker smoother (illusory lower noise floor?).
Also, I was unable to level match this comparison,  so that adds another variable. The external dac I compared to the node 2i was an old parasound zdac version 1. Perhaps if I sampled a higher end dac like a denafrips or an Ayre coda, etc. I'd see what direction was better for a reference point, but if anybody here has actually done their own evaluations, I'd welcome your input, experience and perspective. Thanks.
128x128labguy
I had two Node 2i streamers and the root of why I sold them was that they do not have USB outputs. I feel the audio shortcomings are, at least in part, related to that. I have since replaced the Node 2is within USB output streamers. 
Just curious if any of you who found better results with external DACs were using digital input to a high end pro/pre?   Or are these DACs just that much better than most preamps?
agree with  jjss49. Running Audio Mirror IIISE DAC into bs node2i. have cat5 cable from router to node 2i, coax from node 2i to DAC. Although $2,500 all in (bought Audio Mirror used), would match it against many streamers/ DAC twice this price.
@fittebd... You mean using the digital out on the bluesound to run to a DAC built into a high end pre-amp? If it is a better DAC than the internal DAC on the bluesound it doesn't matter if it is a stand alone or built into a pre-amp you should hear improvements.