Remarkably better sound possible with just 1 system component change?

I could have posted this discussion to a few other categories but chose this one because discussions related to 2 of the 4 components in question belong here.

So it's been ~2.5 yrs since I purchased my current system. I did a lot of research at the time here on audiogon, but no auditioning, and put together a system that sounds very, very good to me.

While I have no complaints, the itch to upgrade has surfaced recently.

I am curious as to whether you guys think it will be possible for me to replace just 1 of my primary 4 components and obtain significantly better sound as a result. The more discernible and obvious the sound improvement, the better obviously. I am not looking for a marginal upgrade - I want dramatically better sound. And I am not looking to replace more than 1 component at this time. I am hoping to get a few ideas/candidates and then may decide to audition some of the recommendations before making a decision. Hopefully some of the upgrade paths are such no-brainers that I may even be able to take a leap of faith without auditioning. Note also that acoustic room treatments are not viable in my current listening location.

My current 4 part system:

1. Lumin D2 - 100% of my listening is streaming via Tidal
2. Mcintosh C2600 preamp
3. Mcintosh MC452 amp
4. Focal Kanta 2 speakers

Cables are Cardas Golden presence RCAs from the Lumin to C2600, Cardas Clear Cygnus XLRs from the C2600 to the MC452, and Kimber 8TC speaker cables to the Kantas.

Soundstaging, dynamics, imaging and overall clarity are all great. I have to say I love the Be tweeters. And the bass is punchy, tight, fast and certainly sufficient for my needs. Vocals and overall sound are warm, liquid smooth and analog-like, just the way I like it. (Forgive me if I've botched some of the characterizations - I'm no expert at this). The only thing I can think of that could use some improvement is the sound quality at lower volume levels, although that is not terribly important to me since most of my listening is in the 90+ Db range. Would be nice, though.

So while I do love the overall sound, surely dramatically better sound can be obtained via a 1 component swap? Budget is ~10k. Or will I need to spend more, or upgrade more than 1 component to achieve the desired result?

Thanks in advance for your time and thoughts.

chandybe
I have read and re-read the comments. My initial response is not to jump. I recently felt that there was a layer of "fuzz" in my system. I tried 3 different power amps and a new preamp (watch for a sale soon). In the end I added Isoacoustic Gaia feet to my speakers and was shocked with what I heard. Better bass definition, better midrange extension and detail, a more open top end, and a dead quiet, black background. Clarity that I have never heard. My next thought is your amp and preamp simply are not right for your speakers. Your preamp is not that open and clean on the top and bottom. Nor are the Kimber 8TCs. Buy the Gaia then rent some new speaker wires from the Cable Company. Small costs and possible big gains. Then see where you are and maybe try a 70 watt tube amp. Good luck.
Update -

I've implemented a few acoustic upgrades to the listening space, namely a bookshelf and some art that doubles as smart sound wave canceling/reinforcing/diffusing acoustic panels. They work quite brilliantly, I have to say.

http://imgur.com/a/cVlTvTQ

http://imgur.com/a/uyW7SFQ

Apart from that, I just placed an order for a pair of REL S/812 subwoofers. After those arrive, I plan to build a 2nd listening space in my man-echoic cave, anchored by either a pair of Focal Sopra 3s or B&W 802 D3s. I've been lusting after those speakers for some time and I just have to have one of those pairs, acoustics be damned. And I plan to use an integrated tube amplifier for that 2nd system, such as something like a Raven Blackhawk.

Following that, there are several recommendations I've received that I plan to investigate and potentially pursue, including speaker and component footers/podiums, power conditioning, a higher quality streamer/DAC such as the Lumin T2 or X1, and better cables.

Thanks again for all the input.

To clarify, despite my sardonic utterances, I am a firm believer in the importance and possibly even, (near) primacy of a room’s acoustics, but all of us have certain non negotiable and unmitigable constraints, and acoustics fall in that category for me, at least in my current listening environs.
You’ve received a lot of good advice already.

To lower the sound floor and get more detail at low sound volume require power. Your Macs are more than adequate at delivering that. It’s your speakers that are the limiting factor.

Hybrid electrostatics would be able to give you what you are looking for, I’ve been partial to Martin Logan’s.

Here are a pair of ML Expression 13A’s that would fit the bill at $9000:
https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lisa7c7h-martin-logan-esl-expression-13a-full-range

Be forewarned that they do require at least 3’ of space around them.

A review:
https://www.dagogo.com/martinlogan-expression-esl-13a-hybrid-electrostatic-speaker-review/

My system has all digital input sources and is very similar to yours, though I do have a "PS Audio stack".  Most often I stream Qobuz using my Roon Nucleus Plus server into my PS Audio DirectStream DAC, then into a McIntosh C2500, McIntosh MC452 and Focal Sopra No2's.  I upgraded my PS Audio P10 power regenerator to the new P15 model and that one change improved the soundstage, the detail and improved the definition of the bass.  I also have a pair of JL Audio F113V2 sub woofers, making the improvement in the bass immediately noticeable.