Single driver speakers. Are they worth considering ?

I don't mean electrostatic. How close to a full range speaker can you come with single driver ?
inna
For fun I bought a pair of Audio Nirvana Classic 8 Neodynium drivers and built the recommended enclosure for them. A pretty simple project that yielded results that were much better than I expected. I listen to them quite often when I'm working in my shop and power them with a pair of Pass ACA amps that I built. I was once a single driver skeptic, but not any more.
Great thread.  I'm looking forward to hearing about more user experiences with different brands/approaches.
Evolution and progression does occur.  Someone's experience with a Lowther single driver speaker has little to do with hearing a Nenuphar or Charney. Faulty extrapolation. 
Charles 
I think you'd be better off with a Woofer-Assisted Wide Band (WAWB). 

It's like a full range, but with a woofer added.  One driver handles 300Hz to 20 kHz.  The big advantage is the crossover stays out of all the delicate areas, and from 300Hz upwards you have a point source.  Obviously plenty of cons to this as well.

I suggest if you want to try this out look into a Madisound kit.  They even h ave them for desktops.

Best,

Erik
I recall hearing a very well implemented single driver speaker based on an 8 " Fostex driver at RMAF a few years ago. I was really taken with the sound quality. One of the better rooms of the entire show.

There are some inevitable tradeoffs but this applies to "any" type of speaker. Multi driver/Multi crossover speakers have their own set of tradeoffs. It is always a choice of what compromises can you willingly tolerate long term and be happy.
Charles