When is digital going to get the soul of music?

I have to ask this(actually, I thought I mentioned this in another thread.). It's been at least 25 years of digital. The equivalent in vinyl is 1975. I am currently listening to a pre-1975 album. It conveys the soul of music. Although digital may be more detailed, and even gives more detail than analog does(in a way), when will it convey the soul of music. This has escaped digital, as far as I can tell.
mmakshak
Very interesting, Adhoc. I too believed that digital was wrong-and it was backed up by listening. Now, I'm not so sure. I've found digital more than tolerable with the APL Hi-Fi Denon 3910. Maybe it's due to less than optimum setup of my Linn(circa 1992). But, I no longer, necessarily get tense from all digital. My current interconnect(Oritek X-2) was designed mostly listening to digital. I do have ideas on cd's now. First, cd's made from analog tape are mostly(albeit, maybe, they are a little clinical, but generally that's musically insignificant) okay. Second: cd's made after 1995(approximately) can be excellent. My question here is, was there a breakthrough at this point(1995), or was it incremental improvements(I don't believe the second.)? I have found one cd made earlier that was able to communicate the music message with the cd format(R.E.M.'s, "Automatic for the People"-hell, what do you want for a buck?). I've got to admit that I've not tried turning down the volume of those objectionable cd's, to see what effect that has. D_edwards, when you talk about surround, are you mostly talking about 5.1 cd's?
Sure, that the best CD/SACD players are much better than 10 years ago, and often sound very good.

Now, besides theory I just spoke a little in my former message - I can't develop more in english, not to say that I am not a technician - I just can say :

- I have a very good CD/SACD player, Accuphase DP-85, considered among the few best ones (16'000 euros in Europe)
- as analogic outfit, a Michell Orbe, Rega RB1000 tonearm and Lyre Titan as cartridge.

Well, my top sounding LP's sound better than my top sounding CD's or SACD's.

Richer, fuller, warmer - just more musical, if I can say that.
Ok, more dynamics in CD's.
I enjoy a lot my CD's, no problem, but when I want to listen to the best sound, I put my LP's.
MMAk,

No, use with two channel CD's

Digital is better than analog, especially 24bit devices.

Neil Young is a hippy with marginal talent, when the greatest orchestra conductors in the world have no issue with digital why should we?

Mmak,

If I had Cerwin Vega D9's and told you that digital was perfect...would'nt you consider comments a bit influenced by the quality of my speakers? Your DCM's are of the same ilk and you need to get much better speakers because you are just wasting your time trying to quantify analog versus digital when you're speakers are flawed and have difficulty with digital playback as a matter of their character.

Also I disagree 100% with your statement that music is too relax too. Music is a prime mover for me and I thrive on the tension early REM songs (using a recently mentioned example of a band with poor thin recording quality as an aesthetic to their music) like "fall on me" which is a protest song and it should get your attention!

There's music for every emotion and that tension is what makes it compelling and interesting. If you're trying to relax to music like REM, then you're barking up the wrong tree.
>>Digital is better than analog, especially 24bit devices<<

That is your opinion only and readers should take it as such. You do not speak for those of us who know better.
Audiofeel,

"You do not speak for those of us who know better."

The people in your cult calls the leader "Better"?

....that's kinda cool