What would you do?

So, I want to tweak the sound of my system (Hegel 160 integrated, Cambridge CXC transport, TAD tube DAC (pretty old), Joseph Audio RM25Mark2 XL). I want to increase soundstage and curb a slight tendency for high end harshness.  I know that soundstage is mainly in the mastering of a CD.  And I know that the room plays a big role but I can't make changes there. Just retired and "need" to give myself a present (up to about $3,000 new or used). Have been thinking about getting a new DAC ( Audio Mirror Tubador 111SE with Balanced output).  But wonder if the money would be better spent elsewhere. Your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
dharmaman
Thanks for all your suggestions. Newbee, I cannot, in fact,  re-arrange anything except I have always had  the speakers out from the wall.  The equalizer sound interesting. While it might take any harshness away, I guess (?) it would not do anything to the soundstage.  While I have tried angling the speakers toward the listening position, I find the soundstage better when there is no angle at all (apparently Jeff Joseph suggested this). But I can try again. Thanks again.
Maybe try the Black Ice Fos SS-X sound enhancer. See threads here on AG. 
I own the AM Tubadour and love it. Enhanced the sound stage in my system.
I was just about to suggest the SS-X, but @mesch beat me to it.  It gets my highest recommendation - I'll never have a stereo system without it.
Sound staging, especially 'depth  of image' is principally the product of the recording. If it is there, and in few it is, the rest of it is found in your speaker/room set up. You are not likely to be able to enhance sound staging to any meaningful degree by just getting better (or newer speakers) although you might get some with a better (for your situation) tonal balance. Conversely properly set up speakers of a modest design can produce a pretty good sound stage, at least a two dimensional one.  

Regarding my recommended toe-in, the principal benefit of substantial to-in is the reduction of frequency bounce off nearby side walls which can create high frequency emphasis as well as broadband distortion at the listening position.

The only issue one must be aware of when doing this is the nature of the signal. Many speakers are hot 'on axis' and roll off off axis. In a 'straight ahead set up you would probably be listening about 20 - 25 degrees off axis, so if you toe in your speakers you want to avoid having them with having the axis pointed at your head, you must rotate them with the axis well in front of your head replicating the angle you would have were the speakers pointed straight ahead.  Looks funny but if you research this issue in depth you will find that many manufacturers/dealers use such a toe-in set up in demo rooms. Try it - with the axis of both speakers crossing well in front of your chair. 

TMI perhaps but I'm just trying to help you keep from going down a  bottomless hole.

Good luck

Thursday I will try the toe-in as suggested. I also am intrigued by the Black Ice sound enhancer. After a brief look at review it sounds very interesting. If i used this, where does it go in the circuit- after the DAC and before the Hegel? Thanks again for all your input.