Looking for a tube Preamp new or used for under $2000...

Hi all,

I am looking for a tube preamp for my Parasound A21 amp. I currently have a Parasound p6 preamp, but have been told that a “Tube” preamp not a SS preamp would make a huge improvement. My budget is $2k however, I would prefer to spend less! I am looking at McIntosh and audio research preamps. I am willing to purchase an older preamp, but not one that I would need to send it into be serviced. Any suggestions? Thanks!
matt00
+1 for BAT. I have a BAT VK-600 solid state amp paired with BAT VK-6i tube preamp. I love the combination of the heft of my class A amp with the relative warmth of a tube preamp. You can get pretty close to your $2k budget for an older, but excellent shape BAT preamp with patience. I wouldn’t expect much success overall spending less than $2k though, but I suppose it could be possible with the right circumstances.
Although all the recommendations are good recommendations, the difference as already pointed out is they are different but not better.  The reason why is that the designs are similar and changes are because of the tubes used, the caps and resistors, all low end parts.  IMO buy an old Counterpoint preamp and send it to me.  For under $2K I will build you a point-to-point wired preamp using a better transformer, AC filter choke, better wiring, resistors and capacitors.  All that will be left of the Counterpoint will basically be the chassis.

Happy Listening.  
SCHIIT FREY PLUS BEST PREAMP for $10k or less. A measly $899
with 5 year warranty

lol - well we are all allowed to dream...
I own the parasound A21+ with the parasound p5 pre and just added a smsl su9 dac which has settings for warmer tube like settings and what a dramatic improvement. The p5 and p6 both are so very versatile in many ways but the inboard dac is lacking.  The su9 is also a preamp. All for under $500.