Looking for a tube Preamp new or used for under $2000...

Hi all,

I am looking for a tube preamp for my Parasound A21 amp. I currently have a Parasound p6 preamp, but have been told that a “Tube” preamp not a SS preamp would make a huge improvement. My budget is $2k however, I would prefer to spend less! I am looking at McIntosh and audio research preamps. I am willing to purchase an older preamp, but not one that I would need to send it into be serviced. Any suggestions? Thanks!
matt00
Post removed 
@matt00 try the SP16. They have easy resale. Maybe for you it blows it out of the park. That’s the trouble with this, any recommendation should be taken as a suggestion only. You’ll have to audition some. What works for some systems might not work for another. Look for models that are easy to sell (generally any ARC is an easy sell) or buy from someone or company that allows a trial period. I think overall, you will find most preamps “different” and whether that is “better” is up to you and your ears.
+1 the LTA MZ2 with the linear power supply.  Very quiet and neutral, and you can change tubes to add a little more warmth if you want.  I believe there’s a way to do an in-home trial, which would make this a no brainer IMHO.  I’d be surprised if you didn’t hear a meaningful improvement.  Thought the Rogue was also a good suggestion.  Best of luck.  
SCHIIT FREY PLUS BEST PREAMP for $10k or less. A measly $899
with 5 year warranty
Instead of just making an arbitrary decision to get a tube amp, why not just get an amp that sounds like what you want for under $2,000?  Just because an amp uses tubes does not make it good or better than other alternatives.  And keep in mind the cost of care and feeding of a tube amp.