"Best" speakers new/used under $3,000?

I am using a Musical Fidelity A3cr power amp, a Jolida Fusion pre-amp, and a Jolida tube cd player. I just bought the Fusion and love it. My speakers are B&W 640s (which I've owned for 15 years). I use a Klipsch dual 15" powered subwoofer as well. As much as I love my system, the speakers must be outdated, so I'm looking to upgrade. I have a $3,000 limit for speakers and would appreciate any opinions. I've considered B&W used 800 Matrix speakers as I like the brand, but am open to anything. Thanks.
sloane27
This is hard to sort out. Have you heard a speaker you loved over $3,000 that has the kind of sound you are looking for under $3,000.
@ Sloane. I recently purchased a pair of Dynaudio DM 2/8 speakers which do what you're talking about for less than your budget. These speakers have a higher sensitivity than most Dyns, and match well with a range of electronics. Another speaker I was drawn to which were fast and lively, were the JM Lab 716 floorstanders for rock music.
"Have you heard a speaker you loved over $3,000 that has the kind of sound you are looking for under $3,000. "

That's a very good point.

I find it is a better strategy to listen first for the best sound or sounds at any price to establish that as a reference first. Then look to find something in your price range that can come close. You'll be surprised how much satisfaction you can wean out of this approach with a little time and effort invested, especially if you room is not large and smaller designs like monitors, smaller floorstanders, etc. are all that is needed for top notch results.

After all you can't hit the target until you know for sure what the target is!
Is a 20' by 16' room considered small or large?

My room is 20' by 16' and nearly empty, I'm a bachelor :) It's connected to a dining room of the same size through a 10' by 7' opening. It has a VERY nice sound...I think of it as a component. The floors are wood, it's sparse (nothing between the stereo/speakers and couch but a cofee table) and two high circular corner fishtanks on the listening end cut off the sharp corners there.

I only mention the room because a couple people asked...what is the room like. I'll be looking for speakers which have nice reviews, the Merlins by far had the most support. It will be hard to audition used gear, so I may have to take a leap of faith, but at least I have an idea of what's on the other side.
Medium. A great space for the Merlin VSMs. Another wonderful speaker are the Harbeth HL5s. I'm in Baltimore if you want to audition the Merlins. If you look at the Audioreview site, I think you might get the idea that a lot of people really love them - might have the higest rating of any speaker and well over 100 reviews.