"Best" speakers new/used under $3,000?

I am using a Musical Fidelity A3cr power amp, a Jolida Fusion pre-amp, and a Jolida tube cd player. I just bought the Fusion and love it. My speakers are B&W 640s (which I've owned for 15 years). I use a Klipsch dual 15" powered subwoofer as well. As much as I love my system, the speakers must be outdated, so I'm looking to upgrade. I have a $3,000 limit for speakers and would appreciate any opinions. I've considered B&W used 800 Matrix speakers as I like the brand, but am open to anything. Thanks.
sloane27

Showing 4 responses by pubul57

Another vote for used Merlin VSMs - as capt369 stated. the "speaker hunt ended". Though I will say that at the price point new, Maggies and Vandersteens should be auditioned - many happy owners of these three brands.
This is hard to sort out. Have you heard a speaker you loved over $3,000 that has the kind of sound you are looking for under $3,000.
Medium. A great space for the Merlin VSMs. Another wonderful speaker are the Harbeth HL5s. I'm in Baltimore if you want to audition the Merlins. If you look at the Audioreview site, I think you might get the idea that a lot of people really love them - might have the higest rating of any speaker and well over 100 reviews.
Both great, I suspect the HL5 might work better to fill the room 20x16? Again, Merlin and Harbeth and both very nice speakers.