Stereo systems are like Harleys

You'll never see two exactly alike. They are an expression of the owners ideas on design and performance, usually within the construct of a budget. Often put together over time with new and used parts.

I love that about this hobby. How boring would it be if we all had the same ideas of how a system should sound or look?

When you go to any kind of a rally, be it a poker run, charity ride or whatever.... it's customary to just walk around, checking out other peoples rides and chatting it up. It's a great way to meet people and have fun. Oddly, those bikers who's stigma is to be rowdy and obnoxious, are the nicest people I've met. Never once have I ever heard comments like DUH you should done this or that with your bike. Everything and everybody is accepted as is.

Perhaps some folks around here could learn a thing or two from the bikers. 

treynolds155

There is, it is called "The audio lifestyle". This was big a few years ago. Audio Research when it was owned by McIntosh push this among other brands. I remember an Audio Research Rep telling me it was not about audiophiles anymore. It was about living the audio lifestyle. I told my Audio Research dealer (a good friend), I was too old for another lifestyle. I was just in it for the music.

I am glad to say that it looks like Audio Research has gotten back to the family philosophy. Not just trying to sell new gear but servicing the old stuff as well.

Weekend Warriors? Accessorizing because from the factory, the thing is kind of disappointing? Weight to power ratio? I dunno. I had a "not real Harley"-- a V-Rod which was a great motor in search of a frame that didn't flex, had brakes that didn't do much (I installed Brembos and then the frame really did flex) and did do some customization by stripping off all the crap the prior owner had installed to make it a rat rod.  That market peaked several years ago (kind of around the same time that Guitar Heroism™ died), except for the hard core riders. Old Harleys are cool, but man, you got to have an ass of steel.
I had a friend who did the Real Cannonball Baker run (not the car thing, but running X-country on a bike, in his case a pre WWII Harley with a suicide shifter when he was in his early 70s). Tough Brit.
So, Japanese bikes are like digital to Harley analog?
Where does BMW fit in?
I liked the Italian bikes.
I'd really like a Brough for bragging rights, but I quit riding a while ago and never considered myself good, only careful. I'm now too old, too likely to really hurt myself and my reflexes aren't what they were. I do miss the freedom you feel on a bike. Maybe flying is the way to go. 
I traded my Road King for a minivan over 15 years ago.  Now I listen to music with my 15 year old.  :-)
Just a little virtue signaling there.  Only hurts when I laugh, haha.

Stereos may be like Harleys, but audiophiles are not like bikers.

The band I was a member of in '75 got hired by the owner of a motorcycle repair and customizing shop on El Camino Real somewhere between San Jose and San Francisco to play at a party he was throwing in the shop. The band played Jump Blues music, a very danceable genre.

Seeing a bunch of burly guys with beards and long hair, black leather jackets over Levi jean jackets, stiff blue jeans and motorcycle boots dancing without female partners was a sight to behold. I kept my bemusement to myself ;-) . 

All the guys were chugging bottles of beer, using it to wash down whatever pills they were swallowing. It didn't take but about a half hour for things to turn ugly. Altamont came to mind. Aggressive personality traits mixed with speed creates quite a little monster. The shop owner came to the band's rescue, and the party was over.

Audiophiles, on the other hand, are a bunch of p*ssies ;-) .