"Best" speakers new/used under $3,000?

I am using a Musical Fidelity A3cr power amp, a Jolida Fusion pre-amp, and a Jolida tube cd player. I just bought the Fusion and love it. My speakers are B&W 640s (which I've owned for 15 years). I use a Klipsch dual 15" powered subwoofer as well. As much as I love my system, the speakers must be outdated, so I'm looking to upgrade. I have a $3,000 limit for speakers and would appreciate any opinions. I've considered B&W used 800 Matrix speakers as I like the brand, but am open to anything. Thanks.
sloane27
I agree with the Merlin recommendations, I owned the TSM's and really liked them but because of a repair issue with them I also had a pair of DeVore Fidelity 8's on hand for a few weeks of direct comparison with the TSM's.

I kept the DeVores and they're one of the best buys I've made in 40-something years of frequent gear changes.
Audiokinesis makes speakers in this price point that are exceptional values- easy to drive, very musical , excellent soundstage and wide bandwidth.
DSchultz....I was actually referring to any 800 series B&W in the price range I specified. Like a nice looking pair of 802 series 2 that I see at $2,300 listed now, or something similar....I'm reasonable.

I've heard great things from this thread about the Merlins, which I WILL make a point of listening too.

I understand that this is subjective so there is no "BEST" which is exactly why I put it in quotes. But I do need a place to start, and I think this community has invaluable experience. Knowledgable people's preferences acquired through actual experience are very helpful to me. Thanks to anyone who posts with your opinion. I am going to buy speakers soon, and I appreciate the help. For instance, I would have never gone out of my way to consider Merlins before, but I'm considering them now.
Audiokinesis is one of the lines I have never heard that I would really like to.

I like Duke's perspective on what it takes to produce good sound and would love to hear his designs....
Another vote for used Merlin VSMs - as capt369 stated. the "speaker hunt ended". Though I will say that at the price point new, Maggies and Vandersteens should be auditioned - many happy owners of these three brands.