Suggestions for New CD Player

I'm looking for a new CD player, modestly priced under $1,500, that will  work well with a 2-channel system featuring B&W 804S floorstanders, a McIntosh MC402 power amp, and a Magnum Dynalab MD208 receiver used as a preamp.

My wife and I mostly listen to classical music, and have an extensive CD collection, particularly heavy in orchestral (e.g., Mahler, Beethoven) and opera (Wagner, Verdi) and piano/violin.  (My wife is a Julliard-trained musician.)   Pre-pandemic, we were frequent concert-goers, preferring about rows 8-15.  We also rock out on occasion. We appreciate fine equipment, but we're music-lovers rather than true audiophiles.

We previously had a Consonance Droplet CD player (tubed, nice sound quality, when it worked, which wasn't often enough) and a Lexicon RT-20 (a little harsh, and wouldn't play many discs).  I won't buy a used player.  In my experience, CD mechanisms are the most fragile of all components.

I realize I'm asking a lot at this price point, but life itself is compromise.  Don't really care about wireless capability or digital files.  SACD is nice, but redbook capability is what really matters to us.  Considering Cambridge Audio 851, Rega Apollo, but open to suggestions.

Your thoughts?

gg107
I have owned Cambridge--nice detail, Rotel years ago, a good player but too bright, and more recently Marantz spinners.  These are my default suggestion. ESPECIALLY given you enjoyment of classical music. I owned the 8005 years ago.  A huge value, solid build, easy recommendation on a budget.  A gently used KI Ruby, which is what I now own, is an unmistakable step up in their line.  Nice detail but never harsh. Huge soundstage, recreates the venue very accurately.  Great all around player.

Given the helpful info you provided, I would suggest a Marantz player over the ones on your short list.

P.S.  Doesn't it bug you when you clearly state your needs and some try to steer you towards streaming or players that clearly do not meet your needs.  Brother.  

Good luck on your search.
Dear gg107....if you can act fast Accessories 4less have a Yamaha S2100 player REFURBISHED for around $1500ish. The retail is $3500. It is just below their flagship model. I've owned a series of cd players including NAD, Oppo, Cambridge Audio....The Yamaha is on a different level completely but be quick...
Thank you to each one of you for your thoughtful suggestions.  Especially helpful now that the pandemic has made in-person auditioning unattractive.  At this point, I've narrowed it to 3 contenders:

1.  The Yamaha S1000.  I am concerned about reliability.

2.  The Denon DCD-1600NE.  No reservations based on what I've learned, but I suspect the Yamaha may be more pleasing -- probably based on the fact that Yamaha is a musical instrument manufacturer.

3.  The Cambridge Azur 851c. A part of the attraction is the built-in DAC, with the promise that it could be run directly into my McIntosh MC402 power amp, freeing the Magnum Dynalab receiver for my secondary system.

I can feel my audiophile impulses awakening after a decade-long sleep.
I am still using a Yamaha CDX-520. I bought it used in the 1990s. When it dies I will probably buy the Yamaha S1000.