Finally found THE SPEAKER!!!

I have been a HiFi guy starting at 12 years old with my father passing along the love. We would spend almost every weekend auditioning speakers looking to find the perfect system. We purchased many speakers over the years and they all had their pros and cons, but the trade off always seemed to be nuanced and delicate vs. dynamic and punchy. When auditioning speakers people would always ask what kind of music do you like to listen to? Rock, female vocals, classical, etc... We had/have eclectic taste and would listen to it all. Why could't a speaker just play all of it?!?! Anyway my love for music, sound, etc... became my profession as I am now an Oscar nominated Supervising Sound Editor with well over 150 movies under my belt.

For the last 5 years I have been looking for speakers that can play films at reference levels with all the detail and punch, yet when I want to listen to music can give that nuanced and detailed imaging, space, air, articulation without being harsh and fatiguing. I have listened to SO MANY speakers and spent hundreds of hours auditioning everything I could find. I would fall in love with something for music and then try play one of my films at reference level and it just never gave me the impact I was looking for. I get it - hard to move a lot of air and still be nuanced and articulate. There are some excellent compression drivers/horns that can do the impact stuff, but for me they always have that harsh edge when it comes to music. The flip side with dome type tweeters I have found things have to be pushed to the edge to try to give that theatrical impact. Looking for the quick transient response of an electrostatic, with the punch of compression driver type of system.

Then a dealer recommend I listen to some speakers from Wisdom Audio. I have to admit I was pretty skeptical at first. I read about these and it all sounded like marketing to me, but the dealer I was talking with said he was blown away by them. So I reached out to the company and setup a demo. They use planar magnetics which is not exactly new, but is very difficult to manufacture. I asked them to have one of my films available to listen to. I chose one that I knew extremely well that has a LOT of dynamic punch as well as subtle nuance. I live in Los Angeles and the company is in Carson City, Nevada. I bought an airplane ticket and I was off. I was treated to a tour of the factory and shown how the speakers were made. USA manufactured!! Then we spent a few hours listening to all types of music on different ranges of speakers. I LOVED what I was hearing with the music part of the audition. Then I asked to hear my film in their theater. I expected to be disappointed based on what I had experienced in the past. Then it happened... I heard the film play and it sounded AMAZING! These speakers could do it all!!! No compression, no fatigue, HiFi sound and still able to play theatrical film tracks as they are meant to be heard. In fact - better! I called my wife in disbelief that my search for "The Speakers" was finally over! I even called my father to tell him what I had just heard. It was the impressive! I remind you - I do this for a living!

Since we are undergoing a major remodel at our home, my wife expected that the family room was going to be filled with big speakers as she has become accustomed to living with me. With some of these Wisdom Audio speakers, they are actually designed to be flush mounted in the wall. I thought there is no way a wall mounted speaker could ever sound as good as a traditional speaker. I was so wrong!! So not only did I find the perfect speaker, but not big boxes in the room 3 feet away from any walls! My wife was thrilled.

If you have never heard speakers by Wisdom Audio you need to find a dealer where you can audition them, or fly to the factory for a private demo!

Best,
Andrew
drewde
I've heard the LS75. They were used as rear surround speakers in a 4.4 system. ALL Ampzilla powered, 6 of those things.. I never noticed what he was using for a preamp. The Ampzillas were stacked like cord wood on either side.. BLUE  6 total..

I saw, heard and bought the mains out of.. it is where I got my last pair of VMPS RMx Elixirs.  I75 are close to the BG RD75 Planars.. Actually the BG were quite a bit better..   One of the BG series uses Neos, ones used ferrite. There was also a few 75" that were produced with Rare earth magnets... RARE indeed..
I liked ferrite magnets the best.. just a smoother sounding planar.

The real game changer was the type of OX. 

NOW!  Danny Ritchie probably has more knowledge on planar building than any body out there. HANDS DOWN... Builds some good speakers and designs a LOT of OX corrections on pooley designed passive XOs..

The exception being a very well designed active XO, Krell Evo or something like that.. Special made for that application. 20 30 times the cost..

I love Ribbons, and small planars. 30+ years for me.. Electro stats not so much...

Have fun..

Regards
Glad you found the perfect speakers for you, but I have to say in looking at Wisdom's web site, it is rather a mess. A ton of products with little clarity or explanation of the differences between them and what's best for what situations.  One could wander around for quite a while trying to figure out which of the many products might be most appropriate for their setup. 

It is interesting how some companies pass up the chance to make things easy for their potential clients.
This is spam marketing pretending to be a real post. The user has no other posts or comments.  This should be deleted. 

varchard
3 posts

drewde OP6 posts

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

2 to 1,   Who's what? Be careful what you ask for...

Regards
varchard - calm down, you're being paranoid, and you only have 3 posts!

misstl - I agree. I went to the website and it was truly a confusing mess. You'd need to go to the manufacturer just to understand the lineup, never mind hearing them.