Class D

Been thinking of trying a D amp to reduce clutter. Most that I see are not rated at 2 ohms.  My PSB Stratus gold's will drop to 3 ohms or lower at some frequencies. So my question is will these types of amps handle this impedance ?
Thanks in advance. Chris
128x128zappas
atmasphere, ricevs:

I don't try to hide that I think a lot of "tweaks" are highly questionable, and as opposed to what many believe, I have had a large group of audiophile friends who over the years have tried them, so I have been exposed first hand to them, and see difference in blind/sighted listening. Some, based purely on the claims, are physically impossible. I know stating that irks someone.  Almost never has anyone ever come back with truly empirical evidence to support their position, even if they resort to "I can trust my ears". I do find leaping from "I trust me ears" to "it must be true" distasteful, almost as much as "I like it", therefore "it must be accurate", however, those argument and conversations play out much differently from this.

We are not "arguing" over likes, or personal impressions. We are discussing hard, factual engineering topics and concepts. These really are effectively black and white topics, and there is an absolute right or wrong.  People who obviously have a deep and accurate understanding of this topic post detailed explanations and why things are the way they are, work the way they are, etc.  We don't sugar coat, of exaggerate.

In the face of that, someone else, with clearly an incomplete and inaccurate understanding of many of the related topics to Class-D repeatedly posts technically erroneous information. This is not even debatable. It really is black or white, right or wrong. They are wrong. Absolutely provably wrong, and they have been. They don't recant, or consider they may be wrong, they double down and repeatedly post false information labelling it as factually correct, even though they cannot describe it in their own words or justify their position.

Last, I find the repeated personal attacks on atmasphere totally uncalled for. It is like he has a personal grudge.

To others that care about these forums.

All we have are manufacturers and their shills, with incessant agenda to get he ball rolling on their latest class-D products, and they use these forums to slyly advertise what they have coming up for sale, and will stop at nothing to counter anything that may effect those future sales.
See the immediate angst cause to them with the professionally ready made diy GaN Class-D kit I put up above, which is probably better than anything they could do.

One here especially put rubbish on the new GaN transistor technology way back when I showed it to all here, and he said it has no advantage over the Class-D technology used.

But now he’s has changed his tune and is actually pro GaN transistors, funny what the mighty $$$$ brings out in people. Like I said they are just here to slyly advertise their goods. You can’t believe them, especially the fusers!

At least companies that use GaN like Orchard Audio, AGD ect don’t come here behaving like them.

Cheers George
Here are some interesting developments....

1. Class D audio (under the Premium Audio name) will soon be releasing their "baby" GaN amp.......stereo, 150 watts a channel into 8 ohms, balanced and unbalanced inputs for a mere $699.  100K input impedance.  You will see a tiny bit of info here....wait for the second slider to load to see the pic

https://premiumaudioproducts.com/

2. Orchard Audio is releasing a higher powered version of their GaN amp module.  You can buy the module fully loaded or you can just buy the board and buy all the parts and stuff it yourself.  This new 250 watt a channel module has higher input impedance (44K balanced) and higher gain then before so makes it more universal.  The unloaded boards can be bought for $100.  The stuffed boards can be purchased for less than $1000 the pair (till the early bird sale goes away).  This would be way better than the eval board put out by the GaN companies.....The Orchard amp measures and sounds very, very good.....800K switching and very very little phase shift. 

https://orchardaudio.com/shop/ols/products/strk-ltr-mdl/v/STRK-LTR-MDL-SSMBLD

The phase response and other measurements of the earlier less powerful module can be seen at the bottom of this page.

https://orchardaudio.com/bosc#58053fe9-04a5-4030-9e69-e310ee3f6b5a

Folks,In the interest of staying on course, can we ignore george and move on? Would like to hear more on the new amps using either Purifi or GAN technology.