Can NOLA's "Boxer" compete with big floorstanders?

I am probably going to have to sell a large floorstander speaker which is very good, and replace it with a smaller speaker. I have considered Totem Hawks and Forests which are too expensive even used; also, Ohm Acoustics M-1000; NOLA "Boxer"; the Sonist Recital 3. and Martin Logan ESL-Electro Motion hybrids.

I like the Hawks, Ohms, the NOLA "Boxer" and the Logans; I am sure there are other monitor or small floorstanders out there that can complete with many expensive floorstanders, but I do not have access to much speaker variety in the Hawaii high-end audio market.

Therefore, would appreciate input on all or even some of the above speakers, especially the NOLA, Martin Logans, and Totem Hawks.....the Ohm-Walsh Omni's are good and satisfying to listen to, but have only fair to moderate imaging and and average accuracy..... Thank you
sunnyjim
Sunny,

Chances are you are not going to take to the OHMs with teh perspective that room filling sound is "gimmicky". Only in relation to the traditional box design. How is sound coming out of a box not a gimmick? Is that how sound works in the real world?

Omni's definitely take some time to get used to because they are inherently different. Once you "get" them though, it can be hard to ever go back, which can be a scary thing.

Starting off with them as an alternate to a more conventional design is a great way to test the waters over time and see.
I must agree with Mapman, omnis take some getting used to, but once you get used to them it is hard to go back. My speaker system is very similar in its presentation to an omni, and I have always liked the spaciousness and soundstaging of speakers like mine, the Ohms, Shahinians and mbls. I find it difficult to break away from that presentation, as it is one aspect of the reproduction of music through electronics that can, in my view, make a recording sound more like a real, live event (another being dynamics; there are plenty more that come into the equation as well), and one that I place a priority on. I will acknowledge that some of the soundstage is probably created by the speakers and the room they're in rather than an exact reproduction of the recorded venue, but there is still good image location and palpability within that soundstage, maybe not as pinpoint as with a traditional speaker but perhaps more like what you'd hear in real life.

All that said, there are different priorities that each person has in their listening biases, and I was impressed with the Boxers, I thought they were among the best monitors that I have heard. You will not find them bass shy unless you listen to a lot of recordings with significant output below 35-40 Hz, and in a smaller room their dynamic restrictions are not likely to come into play.
Thanks guys. Maybe "gimmicky" was the wrong choice of words. Unfortunately, the seller of the Ohms M-1000 does not have the boxes and does not want to take the chance of shipping them. I can understand his concern

Unfortunately, direct marketers place a lot of stress on themselves, and the potential buyer by the inhome trial strategy. I could go throw Ohm, but I would have to tie up $1000-2000 depending on the model and pay shipping both ways should I decide to send them back, which would run about $300; I am in Blue Hawaii, (not so blue today)

This dilemma of auditioning speakers in a showroom DOES NOT JUST only apply to DIRECT MARKETERES,but even to local audio outlets. I have often been chastized by members who declare that I should go out and just listen to speakers in question. Unfortunately, that is not a viable answer because unless you live in New York City or Chicage, possibly San Francisco, audtioning options are limited; unless, a buyer enjoys weekend road trips to other cities and audio dealesr.

However, my current dilemma, (if it is that at all) is not an emergency or serious, and so I 'll have to come up with another solution or just be quiet and return to my cave. Jim
Not to hijack the thread, but is anyone able to compare/contrast the NOLA Boxers to the Merlin TSM-Mmi?
"I will acknowledge that some of the soundstage is probably created by the speakers and the room they're in rather than an exact reproduction of the recorded venue, but there is still good image location and palpability within that soundstage, maybe not as pinpoint as with a traditional speaker but perhaps more like what you'd hear in real life. "

I would agree with this. I have heard some accurately describe it as taking the sound would would hear in the original venue as recorded and adapting that to your listening room. I think that accurately describes it and to me represents the best strategy for reproducing what you might hear live in your totally different room at home. It is not about sounding like traditional box/directional designs at all so I endeavor to not even go there except perhaps in comparison of specific aspects to other models.