Any way to listen to wav or high bit files with anything approaching audiophile sound?

Forgive the question, but this is my first time posting on Audiogon in a few years and I'm not up on some of the latest technology.  I'm doing a project where I'm going through as much music as possible for a blog I'll be creating where I find my 1,000 favorite albums of all time and ranking them.  I'm most of the way through my thousands of CD's (don't do LP's), and I have decent audiophile equipment, though nothing top of the line.

For other music, I'm going to have to listen to it online or purchase a digital version of the music, as there's no way I can afford to buy thousands more cd's, or they're out of print on cd's (as much of the music I love that I don't have is somewhat obscure), or they never existed on cd.  Some albums I know I won't be able to find. 

First off, is there a way to legally find more obscure albums online other than illegal downloading? 

Secondly, is there ANY way to listen to said music in anything remotely approaching audiophile sound quality?  Does it have to be a certain file type or bit rate?  I've always stayed away from digital files in the past, but now I kind of need them.  Is there some kind of audiophile digital storage device where I can download music to and play it on my stereo system?  I'm pretty ignorant about these things, so again forgive me, and any help would be appreciated.  I don't expect the music to sound quite as high fidelity as using cd's on audiophile equipment, but what are my options to get as close as possible?
soulgoober
It's funny the OP is asking for audiophile grade digital and the responses are suggesting toy junk like Blue Node and Pro-Ject, etc.
If OP is not sure what he wants, you're suggesting that he spend $10k+ to get something that does what? For the record, he never listed a price range or budget for equipment.
To get the very best audiophile experience, I’ve discovered “Diamond Streaming”. It’s the very best possible highest resolution system out there, bar none!

The 24 or 16 BiT resolution is just too low to experience real audiophile sound. Just a fact.
You didn’t mention your system, you simply said it was “decent audiophile equipment” that’s pretty broad around here. If you could be more specific, it might be easier to know if a Bluesound Node is a good bet, or something else. I do agree however, that streaming is a good bet for music collecting. It doesn’t sound as though you will be critically listening, however enjoying what you hear to establish your favorites. Something like the Bluesound Node 2i is an easy add that gets you there.