Preamp choices:Short list

Ok so I want to transition to a truly balanced system. My current components are single ended only. I have 3 choices of pre's: BAT vk-42SE, BAT vk-23SE or Rogue RP-7. Are there any clear front runners? (Note the 42SE is older, carries risk of servicing?). Thanks
jimbones
mazian

how old is that quote?

Ive been a ’phile for 5 decades. Paul McGowan (PS Audio) was one of the first to make reasonably priced differentially/true balanced components, but it took many decades to catch on.

Much/most of the components with XLR I/Os are not true balanced, but thankfully true balanced is becoming more available at reasonable prices

hth
Now here is the kicker: I am getting older and want simplicity and reliability in my system. I don't want to be screwing around with tubes and chasing down issues. Also I can't lift 75lb amps any more. So I am in a quandary, I like a certain sound but may not achieve it the way I am going.
I'm not sure why 75pounds is a thing, but FWIW, our MP-1 preamp weights about half that, and that's for two pieces, not one. So if you can mange 15-20 pounds you'll be alright. FWIW one of the founders of BAT was a customer of ours before he went into business.

One tip: whatever preamp you get, check with the manufacturer to see if it supports something called 'AES48' which is the balanced line standard. If they say 'no', or don't know, or don't know what you're talking about, then the benefits of balanced line won't be realized with their products! The benefit of balanced line is immunity to ground loops, immunity to the 'sound' of the interconnect cable, the ability to run long interconnect cables without degradation and rejection of noise that might get impinged on the cable as it goes from point A to B.

What this means is that if your preamp supports the standard, you won't have to use expensive cables to get them to sound right and an expensive cable won't seem worth the extra money. They'll all sound extremely similar. I own monoblock amps so I can keep my speaker cables short and long interconnects. The cables are Mogami which are not expensive by high end audio standards and I run 30 feet of it. At audio shows I've run as much as 50 feet.
@atmasphere I played lots of abusive sports for many years. Im not young and have had 5 orthopedic surgeries in the last 7 years (that includes one back surgery) That should be pretty clear that I can not be doing heavy lifting. I am also planning years our as I hope to have the next set of equipment into my 70's. I have 25 ft mogami that I plan to use going forward. I think were are basically in agreement.
Hello,
I am not familiar with BAT. I am demoing the Rouge RP7 and RP9. They are incredible. Plus, there are options for balanced and unbalanced for inputs and outputs. It has extra outputs for subs, full remote control and a home theater pass through. Crazy good options. Also going to look into the Rouge Dragon amplifier. If you are looking for a deal on Rouge RP7 or RP9 look into https://holmaudio.com/rogue-audio/
Call and ask for Mike about price ;)