Article: "Spin Me Round: Why Vinyl is Better Than Digital"

Article: "Spin Me Round: Why Vinyl is Better Than Digital"

I am sharing this for those with an interest. I no longer have vinyl, but I find the issues involved in the debates to be interesting. This piece raises interesting issues and relates them to philosophy, which I know is not everyone's bag. So, you've been warned. I think the philosophical ideas here are pretty well explained -- this is not a journal article. I'm not advocating these ideas, and am not staked in the issues -- so I won't be debating things here. But it's fodder for anyone with an interest, I think. So, discuss away!

https://aestheticsforbirds.com/2019/11/25/spin-me-round-why-vinyl-is-better-than-digital/amp/?fbclid...
128x128hilde45
I like vinyl for the process.....that's why I shave with a brush and double edge razor
mahgister

My "Utter rubbish" comment was for the article, not your response.
Happy holidays :-)

Similar argument to which make of car, mode of travel, etc is best. I never bought a CD player so have limited experience in comparing the two formats on a decent system in ideal circumstances. My digital listening has been with mp3 players and home music recording for which it is ideal. If you want to be more involved with the music that you are listening to, then vinyl is the logical format. However an interesting section of this well written article mentioned that before analogue recording and playback, live music was the lone source. Surely this would represent the pinnacle of involvement and excellence. So has the reproductive quality aspect given way along the timeline to convenience?!
As the author states.

"My aim is (1) to highlight what is absent in the aesthetic experience of listening to music through digital formats and equipment, and (2) to refute the idea that vinyl enthusiasts are mere snobs using outdated technology just for the sake of being cool."

In the end he fails to prove his premise and struggles to highlight either of his declared aims. Neither of which really needed highlighting.

@millercarbon, rvpiano,

"There is no trout. Maybe never was."

Yes that captures it.

As biologically constructed interpretation machines we rely upon sensation, stimulation, memory, imagination and emotion.

As long as we remain human there doesn’t seem to be any way of getting away from that, does there?

Some might prefer impressionism some like photo realism.

@mahgister,

"Timbre perception was and is the key to listening experiments about audio system and his not only speakers dependent but room dependent...."

Could not agree more.

I’ve felt that way about audio for decades.

@whart ,

"I don’t have the energy or inclination to argue analog v digital at this point, though I was a dyed-in-the-wool analog guy for many years. Now, I’m agnostic.
A recording sounds "right" to me or it doesn’t."

Me too. I think it has to be a case by case comparison. There’s far too many examples of one being better than the other.

What happens on the production side of music often has very little relation to what happens on the interpretation side of music.

Cue to half remembered recollections of drunken parties where you thought the music was the best thing you ever heard...
@mahgister I enjoyed your post about how the many factors combine to incline us one way or another, depending on variables that are not usually taken into account -- especially the room. And, we can agree that a good comparison should try to exclude using magic words like "physical" (or "analog" or "natural") and it should also avoid the "fetishism" of touch. (Though some might argue that since music is a total experience, why should we exclude any other senses participating in the experience?)

Yet despite all that you said, I’d only point out there are people here who have tried both formats *in their rooms, keeping variables constant and avoiding the prejudices of magic words and fetishes* -- and yet they still testify to a difference. As much as you want to direct us to the many factors which are in common and to create "peace" between the "camps," there is a difference here which is not borne of obstinacy or anger, but of listening experiences. Personally, I have not had these experiences -- but that’s because I don’t have a turntable now.

@madavid0 Thank you for your excellent post. I think you push toward at least a plausible answer as to what the difference is. In some of the better videos by P.S. Audio’s Paul McGowan (and other folks), I’ve hear discussions about timing that make this seem to be a key element. And you’re right that we don’t have very firm answers to these questions, as far as I understand it.

@stringreen I like your analogy with shaving. It’s a good point about whether "the process" can ever really be separated into "pure listening" and the "overall experience of listening," which is broader. When I listen critically, am I listening in the same way as when I just sink into the music -- as Steve Guttenberg continually urges us to do in his videos? (cf. Is a job interview like any other conversation?)

@lastperfectdaymusic I recommend to everyone here a short piece by former Librarian of Congress entitled "Making Experience Repeatable," the second half deals with the conversion of music as a unique and unrepeatable experience into one which could be switched on at will. See: https://erenow.net/modern/the-democratic-experience/42.php