Speaker recommendation $10-20K (with some requirements!)

Recent lessons of the developing audiophile:

• Don’t buy speakers without demonstration

• Speaker break in is real...but will not fundamentally change DNA

• Really appreciate the wisdom of this forum!

I recently changed my old B&W Matrix 803 Series 2 with new Dynaudio Countour 60i’s. A number of you helped on my: How important is speaker break-in? post - thanks! The Dyn’s are not fully broken in, but I think I can see where this is going: They have great soundstage, detail, and bass. In comparison, the B&Ws sound smaller, thinner, slightly less detailed overall, and do not throw big bass. (The B&W’s are supplemented nicely with a quality subwoofer, but that still sounds a little more like component parts stitched together, than the way the Dyn’s deliver an integrated output).  

The problem? The Dyn’s are hard in the mids and highs, and my (aging) ears are very sensitive to that. I have some tinnitus that I usually don’t notice...unless a hard or ringing sound sets it off, and these speakers are doing it big time. Immediately fatiguing (unless the recording is just somebody plucking at a bass guitar). The B&Ws are pretty sweet in the mid-range and most recordings don’t trip my hard/edgy line. So, I WILL go demo before buying this time, but I am hoping this group can help narrow the search a bit, and I am letting budget drift up if that helps get it done. Here are constraints and goals, and equipment:

*Absolutely must be smooth and silky - not hard, edgy, ringing, brittle, etc. - in the mids and highs. Ironically, I tend to listen mostly to heavier music, but I care mostly about sweet and detailed delivery of delicate sounds, like vocals and piano. For say, heavy metal, I don’t care if the system reproduces it perfectly, only that it tilts away from ragged, ringing tones as much as possible.

*After that, I want a big, authoritative sound with meaningful bass, detail - everything one would want in a speaker, but compromises can be made.  

*Room Treatments. Room is medium size, does not have treatments, and it is what it is. It is not a dedicated audio room, so I can’t start throwing stuff up on the walls (WAF). (The room does have the benefit of being wood floor applied directly to concrete (with a rug), so at least the floor doesn’t resonate. And it has 2 layers of sheetrock in places). I will live with my room compromises, but the sound coming out the speakers themselves does matter and I want to focus on that.

*Prefer tower style for aesthetics and fit, but open to boxy (e.g. Harbeth) if that’s where I need to go.  

* Equipment: All digital inputs to ARC DAC 8 -> ARC Ref5se preamp -> Bryston 7BSST2 monoblocks (600W). I get that the whole system matters, and that Brystons are supposed to be a little hard. But this problem really started with the new speakers, so that is where I am focusing. If you really think different amps or something are going to turn the Dynaudio’s silky sweet in the mids and high, please say that with some conviction and support.

As always, really appreciate the greater knowledge of this community!

mathiasmingus
there are so many quality speakers in this price range it would be difficult to pick one. The other issue is that the ringing could be upstream and not the speaker. However, I also recommend Salk. I’ve had a few pair and still own 2 pair. The RAAL ribbon tweeter is fantastic. Haven’t heard the beryllium but Jim has said it’s right there with the RAAL. Great thing about Jim is he’ll build what you want and the finishes are first rate and completely customizable. 
Another option that hasn’t been mentioned is Cube Audio Nenuphars. I recently decided to get a new pair of speakers and was leaning towards Salks again but wanted to check out some options. I also decided I wanted to try a different topology so I started looking at either open baffle or single driver, higher efficiency speakers that will sound great with lower powered tube amps, or solid state like First Watt. One speaker on my short list was Spatial X5’s but I think my space is too small for them as they prefer some breathing space. Then I came across the Cubes. Started looking at reviews and they have not just been positive but over the moon. I wasn’t thrilled with the black or white finish options but I saw a walnut pair on 6moons review. Contacted the US distributor and he had a pair of walnut Nenuphar Mini’s already on order that we’re going to be for himself. However he offered them to me and I went for it. Crazy way to drop $$$$ but I’m optimistic these will fit for me. They’re not fussy about location, can be placed close to a wall, are full range (at least enough for me) and can be used with lower powered amps. They’re also known to image perfectly and be detailed while still being musical. You may want to check them out. My pair arrives next week and I’ll post thoughts in the Cube Nenuphar thread. But just an option that hasn’t been mentioned yet however it may cause more changes upstream. 
Good news for you is that with your budget you will eventually find the right thing. Good luck. 
i agree w tvad

Assuming you don’t intend to replace the Bryston 7B SST monos, I’d look at some well regarded, lower sensitivity loudspeakers with smooth, non-aggressive sound profiles (but still transparent) that require the power.

Vandersteen
Focal
Spendor
Harbeth

except i would delete focal 
Merry Christmas!

What you're looking for you can find in hybrid electrostatics.

I'm partial Martin Logan myself. Audition a pair of ESL 11A's
https://www.martinlogan.com/en/product/impression-esl-11ahttp://

If the bass doesn't grab you, add a sub.

As a musician, the ML's sound like the instruments are in the room with you. 

As one of my fellow audio-crazy friends once said, after listening to my ML's for the first time: "I've always read audio reviews where the reviewer states you could hear the individual notes. I never knew what they meant... until now." 
JBL synthesis 4367, these are the best speakers ever for rock & metal. In my experience, I like them best with a good tube amp like Bob Carver or Ayon.  Also great because you don’t have to mess with a subwoofer.  Great bass, clarity, dynamics and imaging.
I listened extensively to the Salk Song3 BeAT.  There was a great deal to recommend it; but on an orchestral selection with massed ff violins, there was a hint of glare, that I blamed on the beryllium tweeter.  The only BE tweeter that I liked across the board was in Fritz's Carrera 3.  As far as the OP is concerned, by far the safest option is something with a soft dome.