Cables 101, new student, first question

I have a simple question if I can get it worded correctly. For simplicity, let's say my system has four interconnects in a "stream," all from the same manufacturer, some from the top of the line and some from the bottom. Example: Wireworld's Eclipse 8 line, four different versions, the least expensive starting at $325 and the most expensive starting at $1700. In general, will the system's sound be defined by the weakest (cable) link in the chain, in which case all the more expensive cables are a waste of money? Or will a mix of cables that includes some really high-end ones sound better than a consistent run of the cheaper stuff? 

To put this a different way, if I'm buying a couple new interconnects (again, for simplicity's sake from the same maker), might buying better ones improve the sound or will I not hear a difference until I've replaced them all? (Here's the stream analogy: if I put a dam upstream, the flow in the entire river will be reduced.)  

northman
Millercarbon: "But I have crawled under the house and put this stuff on wires going all the way back to the breaker panel. The first 5 feet from the panel makes just the same improvement as the last 5 feet in the room."

Oh, so you came up for air and a sound-check after you'd painted the first 5 feet?

Spreading disinfomation again.  What about the 400 yards from the panel to the sub-station - are you going to dig a trench in the street and paint the cable?   And the 150 miles to the power station - are you going to climb the pylon and paint the six wires on that, best all six because you don't know which wire carries 'your' electricity.

"The first 150 miles to your panel makes just the same improvement as the last 5 feet in your room".  Much more I'd say.

Refute this if you can.
My cable of choice is Pangea, specifically the Audio Premier SE series. I like their build quality and their appearance. Their less pricey Audio Prime series are just as well built and just as nice looking and sounding.
you guys should hold Tekton man to account on his cable painting misinformation.
The lower the signal stage voltages, the more shielded and less capacitive the cable should be. As you move further towards the power, at the higher current stages, the lower the resistance and inductance should be. This is approximately the golden rule.

At no stage however, it is worth spending more than about $150 for any interconnect, including speaker wire, unless you run miles of it obviously.
@hobo1452:  I have read comments elsewhere regarding Pangea cables, to the effect that they were not very good cables.  Audio Advisor features Pangea and at reasonable prices, but given those comments I did not buy any.  Pangea claims to use very high quality Cardas copper.  You find Pangea to do well in your system?  Do you have experience with other brands and cables and found Pangea to hold their own in comparison?  Just curious.