Does a taste for high end audio, also carry over into your other interests?

I would guess there are some where high-end audio may be somewhat different than their interest or investment into "other" things.  From myself and my audiophile friends, there seemed to be interest in food, cameras, computers and even into musical instruments and architecture/house design/interior design.  

My question is, what else in your life gets the same attention and would some consider you "esoteric" in your choices?  Of my two closest audiophile friends, one is into other things such as his home and interior design, cameras, foods, travel...and more... and my other close friend could care less about gourmet anything or the design/style of his home/furnishings, etc.  so his interest in the high-end/audiophile world is more defined than some "other" things.    Just kind of an open ended thought.  In education some friends have pondered the idea of selective intelligence vs. global intelligence/awareness.  Gosh, this is starting to should like an article out of Psycho Today. 

In all cases with my friends and myself, the greatest interest is in family and friends...and those are the people we enjoy sharing the stereo/music with.  Hope all have a great holiday season. 

whatjd
cd318 

When I was a high school freshman, I read that John Kennedy was a fan of Ian Fleming.  Later when I had the funds, I bought every first edition British pressing (Cape) of the Bond novels (with original Dust Jackets) .  A few years later I sold them in TWSJ for several times what I paid for them.  Now nearly any one of them would sell for about what I sold the whole set for......did I mention what I sold the 67 silver Stingray with soft and hard top for.....  Makes me cry. ...but hey, it had nearly 12k miles on it, so it was just an old used car.

Cheer up, its only money, and besides it was a Corvette. In 67 if I recall they still had live rear axles drum brakes and leaf springs like a pickup truck. Now if you had sold a Porsche then you would have lost disc brakes, torsion bars and independent suspension. So cheer up. Its not like you sold a real sports car, more like you lost an old pickup truck.
The early Corvettes started with kingpin steering, drum brakes, a straight six and questionable body style. By the time of the 56, the styling was cleaned up. The Stingray eventually had disc brakes and a much improved suspension. I lost my taste for Corvettes when I went from drag racing to road racing and started to enjoy cars that could corner. I did enjoy the 60 and 67 I owned. When I started racing at Road America, etc. I started to get my speed and handling fix on the race course and became less of a sports car for the road person.....but had some exceptions. Of sports cars, fancy watches, fancy mates and more, my audio love has been the most cost effective and reliable.
Miller, the 67 Stingray had all independent suspension and all disc brakes. But the series before the Stingray were crude with drums and a live axel. But even the best road cars I have ever driven, including Porsche and Ferrari, could not handle like the race cars I drove.

In any of you have not been to Road America...esp. if you live within driving distance, it is worth a visit. Each year on the 3rd weekend in July they have the Brian Redman’s Historic Races. It is eye candy in so many ways. There are a couple of people that are so rich they have a tractor/trailer with 6, or so, Ferrari’s in it, with an entire crew to maintain them. When my best friend and I used to go there every year, it was always fun to see the old rich guy with the multiple Ferraris and the young, pretty thing on his arm... and that young pretty thing was not his daughter.

Post removed