How old are you?

No age is too young or too old. Just general curiosity about the average age of Audiogon members. 

I’ll start. I’m 39.

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xtoro3
I was 17 when I was at the Fillmore East on 12/31/1969 at one of the greatest evenings of rock History. Band of Gypsies. 
71 years old and wishing I was working again in my industry.  However, my industry has and is rapidly disappearing with the change in the way people communicate today,  I loved to work rather than worked to play.
I am 46 and got my first system when i was 14 (Polk Towers, NAD receiver, NAK music bank CD changer and monster cable from Bryn Mawr Stereo).
I have been blessed to own many of the best products the industry has known.

I also sold my AV publications almost a year ago for the exact reason this thread is explaining. Young people (with very few exceptions) are not part of this hobby thus the hobby is very hard to treat as a business. Science is often ignored for voodoo. The way things WERE is more important that the way things are going to be. 

My advice to the newer or younger fans is to ENJOY THE PROCESS. Remember the gear you have owned fondly. Perhaps journal your experiences with it including some photos while at the same time aspire for better. Embrace science. Subwoofers are a good thing. Room correction is a good thing. Master tape quality digital files are a good thing. Room acoustics are a good thing. Cleanly rack mounting your gear is a good thing. Ample AV power (20 amp circuits) installed by a pro with hospital grade outlets is a nice little tweak. Quiet, correct temp lighting control is a good thing. Having a video monitor is a good thing. Skip vinyl (lame dynamics, high distortion). Look to cables that don't have ANY color and don't waste a ton of your money. Avoid voodoo. A pile of wood chunks isn't going to make your system sound better - it will just make you more neurotic.