How to select a good Speaker Cable

Speaker cables do have a significant role in how our system sounds. Different cables sound different. 

So which one is the right one for you?

The Speaker Cable is an extension of the Amp. and not an addition to the speaker's load. It shall have a certain resistance (low) not to spoil the Amp's DF figure. As so, it can be calculated and there is a formula to do it.

The higher the Amp's DF, the lower the Speaker Cable's resistance shall be. As today SS power Amp's get DFs of 400 and above (Digital Amps go by thousands) the cable of 10 ft (3m) long, gets as thick as 0 AWG.

I can see your eyebrows elevates, when that thick cable is to be deal with. Most Speaker Cable makers skip it because of that. So most cables on the market (regardless of the look or price) are of 14-12 AWG. Way less that supposed to be.

Worst! no Speaker Cable maker, dealer or seller knows the answer, of what is the correct cable for your system. 

So most of us ended up, with a cables too thin for the task.

A conducted test, on this site, about a year ago as well as with some closer friends, shows a significant improvement with a calculated size cable over their previous cable. The results were all positive and preferred the calculated cable.

So, instead of asking: which of two brands, or two prices or two colors of Speaker Cable do I need, you should ask how thick of a Speaker Cable do I need.

I'll be happy to provide you the calculation, for who request it. All you need to provide is:

1). Length (Ft. or meter)

2). The Amp's DF figure.

Thanks

128x128b4icu
Mr. tweak_1

The Wire World website information is irrelevant. 
Use an OFC cable that is flexible enough, with lots of thin strands, would be the best. For length: you need to say. The thickness for such length, is set by the Amp's DF spec.
All tricks as for skin effect, cable's geometry, cryo treatment, Bi-Wire, or any other of that long list (including Burn Ib (BI) are nothing but BS.
My suggestion, to use two separate (the red and black), and not a twin in one cable. That is the best for no Capacitance. 
Mr. b4icu-
From what I’ve read about damping factor, a high number is not a be all and end all. A lot depends on the speakers being driven(JM Lab Mezzo Utopia’s @ 4ohm, 92.5dB sensitivity) and the marriage between the 2.

Not to sound defensive but I have a feeling that Jeff Rowland knows what he’s doing with his amp designs.

Your equation does not take into account the speakers and their resistance etc..
The Model 12 manual lists the DF value as >(greater than)100. Not 100. So, I don’t know how much greater than 100.
The president of PS Audio states that a DF of about 100 is going to control a speaker just fine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFifYcepPaM
Anyhow, the system sounds great but better speaker cables will be even better.... Vertere Acoustics mains and speaker cables all start at 2 meters. They did tests and that is the minimum length they were satisfied with. I asked about 1 meter mains. No go...I cannot go 1 meter anyhow but I will certainly keep the cable gauge in mind.

Thank you.
Mr. vinylshadow

The DF is a given, once you purchase your Amp. You can look for a better, or let it be as is.
DF is defined as the ratio (pure number) between the constant, pure resistive value of 8 ohms of a speaker load, divided by the Amp’s output resistance.
The figure of output resistance is the way the Amp’s drives the speaker.
Keep in mind that a speaker is a complex device with reverse current, generated by the speaker to resist the Amps will to move it.
So at that part, DF is critical.
However, tube amp’s sound nice and have very low DF! less than 20...
It is nice but not right. Some like it this way, others like it that way.

Some pick a very beautiful wife and do love when their eyes are open. For the less fortunate, there is the option to close their eyes and imagine...

Some makers, often mentioned here, may have some says, but none tells you what spec. should your speaker cable have. NONE!
The only Amp maker that went this way (telling you about speaker cabling) is MBL. They mention it, but they not tell you nothing. Even the DF is top secret. Sorry, that is not a recommandation! mine is.
The idea I bring, been tested and proven. Even with over thick cables (vs calculation) that brought no sonic improvement.
It is correct that some combinations (Amp’s / Speakers / Cables) has more significant improvement, when other combination has less.
If you follow the physics and get the optimal cable as calculated, it guarantees that you are good.
Any other approach, is a blind shot in the dark. The problem is that no manufacturer is telling you which cable you need, and every try is a load on your wallet.
Yes, for those who have more money that brain, or money is not an object, it may be a game they will be willing to finance. Still a waist of time, with never know if you have reached the best or still looking...
For all others, there is a way to go, to nail it on the first and only required approach: Calculating the cable and than get one.

B4icu....you ARE the poster child for Specman!!  You have it all figured out...except for the whole good sound thing.  Enjoy whatever it is you hear 👂 
Mr. Dave_b2

Why talking when you can walk down to the field and play it?
Try this out, and than see.
You are kind of having an Anti-approach, while never gave it a try. Why not?
It will cost you nickels compared to other fancy cables, or any other change in your hi-end audio gear.
With fantastic results. It should stay under $100. No other attempt would cost you so little, and gain you so much.
Sorry if I need to apologize, that I figured it out. But I did, and others did not.