DAC Choices - $5,000 to $7,000

What are the current top DAC choices in the approximately $5-$7K price range (new or used) that I should look at as possible upgrades to my current Metrum Adagio?  Having an on-board volume control is not a factor as I can operate my system either way.   If I wanted to spend more I would look at Totaldac, Rockna Wavedream Signature, or one of the other top-end contenders, but I selected the price range to achieve a sound quality that is consistent with the rest of my system and because I don't want to spend more due to the still evolving nature of digital technology.  I do like the more natural sound (to my ears) of NOS R2R DACs.  So far, I have considered the three below, but none seem to be a slam-dunk upgrade from the Adagio, which still sounds pretty good in my system.  The decision is complicated by having to "buy to try" so that I can hear one in my system.  Maybe now is not the time for an upgrade.  Any thoughts?

• Denafrips Terminator w/DSP board - Reportedly has the full body/dense tone type of sound I like, but also has a high'ish output impedance 
  • Holo May KTE - Reportedly measures great for an R2R DAC and has strong reviews 
  • Rockna Wavelight - Some reviewers like it but others put it in the middle of the pack for the price
mitch2
I had the Aqua La Scala MKII (not optologic) here for a couple of weeks a few years ago.  I liked the Metrum Pavane I owned at the time better.  The Adagio I own now sounds virtually the same as the Pavane but the Optologic version of the La Scala may sound better than the version I had here.
this is why it is so important to hear stuff for yourself. Although you and a couple of reviewers indicate the Morpheus may have a touch more meat on the bones than the Adagio or Pavane, I have spoken with several others who have indicated they hear very little if any difference between the Morpheus and the Adagio. I have heard from a couple of people, and from Granny's post below, that the Morpheus is thin sounding, and from one industry insider who recommends using a preamp or buffer with either the Morpheus or the two top Metrum DACs.
My personal finding with both the Pavane and Adagio (both of which I have owned) is that they have good tone and detail but need a preamp or buffer to achieve the level of body I enjoy. I am hoping to find something with a similar level of tone, detail, and naturalness, but with a bit more body and weight. It seems the Bricasti M3, Holo May KTE, and Mojo Mystique may provide this and also possibly the Rockna Wavelight and Terminator.  

@mitch2 
I also own Adagio since 2018 and used to follow your posts. Initially, i also found its sound to be a little dull and thin. Then after a year, I got hold of EAR868 tube amp and now the sound has become more full-bodied and a little more transparent. Maybe you need to consider changing/adding a tube preamp even for a few days to see if there is any change in the sound.
I highly doubt if any other DAC can give you better sound in an almost similar price range.
Sorry @rsjaurr but have you seen mitch2's system page? He has one of the finest pres I've ever heard the SMc only wish I could afford one. That's not the issue in this particular case IMO.
Sorry @rsjaurr but have you seen mitch2's system page? He has one of the finest pres I've ever heard the SMc only wish I could afford one. That's not the issue in this particular case IMO.

Yeah I know about his preamp. He can borrow a different pre and try it. Just my two cents.