DAC Choices - $5,000 to $7,000

What are the current top DAC choices in the approximately $5-$7K price range (new or used) that I should look at as possible upgrades to my current Metrum Adagio?  Having an on-board volume control is not a factor as I can operate my system either way.   If I wanted to spend more I would look at Totaldac, Rockna Wavedream Signature, or one of the other top-end contenders, but I selected the price range to achieve a sound quality that is consistent with the rest of my system and because I don't want to spend more due to the still evolving nature of digital technology.  I do like the more natural sound (to my ears) of NOS R2R DACs.  So far, I have considered the three below, but none seem to be a slam-dunk upgrade from the Adagio, which still sounds pretty good in my system.  The decision is complicated by having to "buy to try" so that I can hear one in my system.  Maybe now is not the time for an upgrade.  Any thoughts?

• Denafrips Terminator w/DSP board - Reportedly has the full body/dense tone type of sound I like, but also has a high'ish output impedance 
  • Holo May KTE - Reportedly measures great for an R2R DAC and has strong reviews 
  • Rockna Wavelight - Some reviewers like it but others put it in the middle of the pack for the price
mitch2

Showing 10 responses by rsf507

@cal3713 that Bricasti unit, from the pic, doesn't look like it has the optional Ethernet streamer.
@ddafoe curious but since you use a Bricasti M5 would it not be less expensive to use the Bricasti M3 (or any other 1 box streamer/dac) than the Mystique/M5? One less power cord one less cable? Unless you prefer the SQ of a R2R dac vs other implementations. Your thoughts most appreciated.
Wow sounds very VERY complicated with so many connections. Isn't there some one box solution you could try? Less can be more.
Look into a Bricasti M3 very very  close to their M1SE player. Yes I've heard both and own the M1
Agree with @tvad the M3 is a very even full sounding dac. If you are looking for more bottom end or softening of the top end (my Lampi Big 6 did that) look elsewhere. 
Was curious on the Mystique EVO B4B dac so looked it up and adding all options like Lundahl core, Furutech upgrade, Lundahl PSU choke and best shielding it's over 12k. I'm sure it's a wonderful sounding dac but I believe for just over 5k for the Bricasti M3 you would be a happy camper.
Sorry @rsjaurr but have you seen mitch2's system page? He has one of the finest pres I've ever heard the SMc only wish I could afford one. That's not the issue in this particular case IMO.
@mitch2 curious on your thoughts with the Mystique V3? Since it was used should be broken-in. Is it what you were hoping?
@dsper sorry to hear about your wife hope she is doing fine.
So what dac's have you masturbated to? (sorry couldn't help myself)