How I'd spend money given no limits

oldhvymec asked me this in another thread, and I thought it was worth sharing to hear how others might respond and spend for themselves.

Erik, if you could, would you. if you could and had all the means, would you buy the absolute best you could buy?

Maybe a better question is, would I drop a million dollars on a stereo system if I could? No, I can’t imagine unless this involves building a home around it. In large part because I don’t see the returns. Let me expand on this.

First, what is best? I completely and utterly want to burn down the idea that high-price = high-end. So, the question for me is, is there higher performing gear I could get given cost is no object? Don’t get me wrong. I don’t think you can get to great performance for free or what a covid economy would call cheap.

For me, much of this hobby was in building, not buying. I made my own speakers, which may sound like crap (but I like them!), but the pride of ownership is unparalleled. Anyone with a fat enough wallet can buy their way into the club and pretend to be part of the cognoscenti but when you build anything, even if from a kit, you are ahead of everyone who has not. If I had any amounts of money to spend in my version of this hobby I’d experiment with custom line arrays or for HT, high output MTM, and innovative bass traps. My money would go to 3D CAM based milling machines, and sawdust removal. I would also hang out on Audiogon laying waste to snake oil salesmen all day long.

In terms of electronics what have I heard I feel is the equal or better than what I own?

• Luxman
  • Ayre
  • D’Agostino
  • Vandersteen
  • CAT
So sure, I could see myself with a gorgeous looking D’Agostino stack but I’d have more fun with a room full of 30-75 W tube amps and integrateds. From Citation to CJ, Luxman and others, I think it would be much more fun to have colorful, juicy integrateds swapped in regularly than to assemble some sort of godlike equipment stack. Of course, if I do that I’d probably end up with some rather large JBL or Altec horn loaded speakers to offer enough output.

In another area, headphones, I probably would drop a lot more money than I have. The best audio at a show, ever, was from Audeze headphones driven by Woo Audio tube headphone preamp. I’d love to have that experience in my home again. BTW, that was a very long time ago, so if I did this again I’d definitely want to listen to Raal Earspeakers and other headphone amp/DACs.

Any remaining money I’d spend on supporting musical education and culture. Great musicians come from an environment that includes formal education, access to instruments and a thriving supportive community.

Best,

Erik

erik_squires
I'd build my house on springs or those rubber pads they have at Benaroya Hall.
I have my Lotto Wish List but I am sure it would change after auditioning gear:
  • Monoblocks: maybe Soulution, Pass, Constellation, Ayre or the like, or D’Agostino if I want that steampunk/Jules Verne look!
  • Vandersteen Kentos or 7’s (paired with their monoblocks?), or Rockports, KEF Blades, Zellaton, MBL or ? I’ve only heard a few of these.
  • I’d have a big system and a small one, with the small one featuring very efficient speakers driven by a Linear Tube Audio setup, maybe their integrated amp.
  • Synergy, synergy, synergy! I’d seek it.
  • A quiver of great headphones and amps.
I would surely spend half the budget building an extraordinary listening room. Robert Harley built a nice one which he wrote about, but this build is the most amazing one I have seen:

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue16/lavigneroom.htm
Call me crazy but it would be more matched systems and not a “one killer system”.  I currently have 5 different systems and love them all. It’s like some crazy harem of sound. Some systems play more intimate and others rock the house. My wife believes they are all too loud, oh well. 
As to additions, absolutely. Something matched to some Sonus Faber Strads would be nice and always thought about a Hovland amp.  From there some of the ancient Western Electrics would have to make the list, matched to proper amplification. Then there is the Meridian dsp8000 and the list goes on and on. Each is so, so different in stage and presentation. 
Would this satisfy my appetite, probably not.  I thought I was done when I assembled my first “forever” system.  Nope, didn’t happen. I kind of look at my habit as similar to a car collector. A Ferrari definitely has some incredible appeal, but would you pass a chance to own a duesenburg, if your in to cars. Would you say, I got a Ferrari, I’m good. Heck no, both have a ability and looks galore but what a difference. Now yes, as an audiophile we do run into Porsche owners. Those that swear, “their brand”, is all there is.  All I can say is, well good for you, have a cookie.