How far off are wireless audiophile speakers?

Just curious. I know many wireless speakers exist, some with excellent sound. But, do you think we'll see a day where you can ditch speaker wires?
aberyclark
I still take issue with the term wireless, because it's still not a wireless system. You still need to plug in the speakers into an electrical outlet. That might end up being more difficult and unsightly than speaker wires and still not as good.
Is a cell phone wireless when your charging it? Yes. Its not about its power its about its signal but either way my answer as of yet is no like others.
if it is wireless it is automatically off how far depends on where you place the speakers.
If you really think about how small some high quality amps are, it could be feasible that an audiophile grade wireless speaker could be made in the near future. Especially since only one channel is needed per speaker. The speaker would be basically connected right at the source (the amp). And since digital signals now can be streamed with very high resolution, one day the wireless speaker may be the actual highest quality (in a digital realm). Maybe each speaker has its own DAC. Wireless set ups would really change the way we view and set up audio. The speakers could be used wireless or with an interconnect connected to preamp. A wireless Wilson speaker with a built in Mark Levinson amp would turn some heads. Also. 2 channel vs H/T would combine much easier since all the amplifier electronics is at the speaker. You would just set preamp to whatever configuration you have. This is not too far off. A manufacturer like B&W is probably already working on this.
08-16-11: Uru975
if it is wireless it is automatically off how far depends on where you place the speakers.
It is not clear to me what you are saying. Nonetheless, one can compensate for electronic latency as we do for distance. Of course, not if one insists on pure analog. ;-)

Kal