*WHITE PAPER* The Sound of Music - How & Why the Speaker Cable Matters

G'DAY

I’ve spent a sizeable amount of the last year putting together this white paper: The Sound of Music and Error in Your Speaker Cables

Yes, I’ve done it for all the naysayers but mainly for all the cable advocates that know how you connect your separates determines the level of accuracy you can part from your system.

I’ve often theorized what is happening but now, here is some proof of what we are indeed hearing in speaker cables caused by the mismatch between the characteristic impedance of the speaker cable and the loudspeaker impedance.

I’ve included the circuit so you can build and test this out for yourselves.

Let the fun begin

Max Townshend 

Townshend Audio

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xtownshend-audio
The abstract defines the "error" as the voltage drop between amplifier and speaker. Isn’t that determined solely by the resistance of the speaker and cable? So the "lowest error" would be obtained with a speaker cable of least resistance?
Look, i’m not defending  costly magic cables. I focus more on really good connections (which typically suck, and are made worse by obstinate fancy cables BTW).  I cannot tell you how many systems i have tightened a connector on or eliminated an intermittently shorting 2-guage speaker cable, or cleaned a grss set of contacts on.  sometimes after saying "this isnt right".

That said, to the above, no. Its reactance. Maybe that’s what you meant but reactance is highly dynamic and also interacts with the hugely reactive load that a speaker poses. Consider this, theoretically, when the voice coil is returning toward its original position, it is provide in back-EMF and therefore a NEGATIVE resistance.

Just saying this is not a simple "measure the ohms on our radio shack meter" sort of thing.
If Radio Shack still existed.

G
While I have not yet had the time to go through the ""White Paper", the reason for the change in sound may well be related to the following:

Assuming one has a Scope & a Square wave generator, try passing a 20 K HZ Square wave through a cable & Observe the waveform that comes out of the other end.

The closer the wires in a cable are to each other, the more rounded will be the Square Wave coming out of the other end.

Only way to get a matching Square Wave Out, is to space the wires some distance from each other.

As music is not composed of Square Waves, some may hear the effects of this rounding of waveform & enjoy the results; others may think that that the rounding is negative for the sound they hear.

Take your pick & use Speaker Wires that fits your preference.

Meh...mumbo jumbo. I’d rather be listening to music, going for a walk, drinking wine, or visiting my local record store, than spending hours or days trying to prove/disprove a very subjective matter. Let your ears decide; it’s that simple.  My ears can’t hear a difference, but that’s me. 
Meh, mumbo jumbo. I’d rather be reading about technical correlations pertaining to sound on a forum dedicated to sound, than reading about unrelated preferences of a personal nature. Let’s not let our lying ears decide, when empirical evidence can lead us away from personal prejudices, It’s that simple. My mind can tell the difference, but that’s me.
Nobody can see a virus because it's so small. Nobody can tell difference between speaker cables (if they were reasonably well manufactured) because the difference is so small. Expensive cable makers only try to get more profit using so-called audio gurus, who say "I can hear difference". Let's not waste our money for the lairs!