Connecting a DAC directly to an amp?

Do I need to insert a stereo preamp between a volume controlled dac (chord tt2) and an amp? Impact to sq?
emergingsoul
Do I need to insert a stereo preamp between a volume controlled dac
(chord tt2) and an amp?

No. From a specifications point of view, modern solid state preamps with normal input impedances (25K or higher) are a proper electrical match.

Impact to sq?

Depends on the pre and DAC. The biggest issue I’ve had has been that a static charge caused the DAC to jump to 100% volume, something a real preamp would never do.

I’ve had a Parasound preamp in the chain, and in that case the sound quality was better going straight to the amp. With my current setup I can’t hear a difference. Some report significant improvements with a preamp.

Best,

E
I'm running my Lumin X1 direct to my mono blocks. Sounds way better than when I had a preamp in the chain.

ozzy
I connect Dave and HMS to Line Magnetic 508 pre input.

Thus I control the volume through Dave remote.

It is working well.

But I have Schitt Freya pre between Dave and my headhone  amps to connect 20 ft balanced cables.
I used to run my PS Audio DirectStream directly into my PS Audio M700's and it worked great. I've since then traded in my Stellar Amplifiers for a Balance Audio Technology VK50-SE feeding two Orchard Audio STARKRIMSON Amplifiers and two ICE Power ASP-1000 Amps inside a pair of KEF 105/3's.

The Preamp did make an improvement in overall soundstage/clarity but the DSSr. on it's is no slouch. People have paired it with the BHK Preamplifier and heard improvements.

YMMV
Have looked into a Barrett preamp $9k which shuts down tubes while doing ht bypass.  Barrett may be a great box and only 2 tubes and other fancy circuitry that avoids need for more tubes.  but more tubes would seem better.
Absolutely insane why tubes in a great preamp like arc or many others, can’t be designed to allow shutdown during ht use.  Sooooooo stupid.  Sooooooo many users would love this.

so I may have to live with more frequent tube changing and higher electricity costs to have a great tube preamp all ready to go at a moments notice.