Is the ideal multi-way a 3-way with limited bass?

Hear me out here.

3 way speakers with the traditional large woofer benefit from high bass output, and improved midrange clarity due to the lack of Doppler distortion affecting the mids, but with a lot of modest listening areas the big woofer can also be detrimental.  They produce too much bass, which together with room gain and room modes causes flabby and exaggerated bass.
So, lacking ARC or EQ capabilities perhaps the best compromise for the purist is to have a big woofer 3-way but with a limited -3 dB point, say 45 Hz or so.

erik_squires
It's much more about the size of the listening room than the size of the woofer(s). As you've got two variables in play, I don't see how you can arrive at any firm general conclusion.  Rather you'd have to say, for a room of X size, Y size, etc.
I've been advocating something like this for a while, since really there isn't much point to making a speaker go down to 20Hz since standing waves 'stand' a good chance of causing the bass to not be right at the listening chair.

A Distributed Bass Array (like the Swarm from audiokinesis.com) can take make the deep bass and break up standing waves. As long as the speaker can make it below about 60Hz or so and the DBA set up to not go above 80Hz, the main speakers will convince you that the bass notes are coming from in front of you and there won't be any bass problems, right down to 20Hz (at least in the case of the Swarm). The only issue I see that could be a problem is out-of-band bass messing with the woofer in the main speaker. But otherwise you should be able to put something together that would rival a speaker that costs in 5 or 6 figures unless your room was enormous.
Perfect sound reproduction requires flat response 20-20khz. Anything less is WRONG. 
If you want perfect transients you do a 1 way full range cone. If you want more highs you do a 2 way. If you want a bit more mids you do a 3way. Its not rocket science. Open baffles are WRONG which is why we have box speakers in the first place. Use your brain. It is not rocket science. If you want to be a master tuner you need to learn how to listen. If you want good bass get yourself a better room dont blame the speakers. No such thing as dopler distortion. Have you ever heard John atkinson criticize how terrible all these 2way speakers sound due to dopler distortion? Never. Get real and stop complaining.
Wow, I stand corrected... Go get um.. K.

Kmini, KMAX on the way...

You feel better now, I know the forum deletion, was a weird one...

Just weird...

Regards
Wait wait, last week we were all schooled that all speakers sound exactly the same.  Now we are being educated in how different speakers sound different depending on how they are built?

When will the madness end??