Duelund conversion to DIY Helix Geometry Cabling

I have been an avid user of the Duelund cabling for over two years now and have used them exclusively in my system with great results. I have built many for friends and have used a full loom of interconnects, speaker cables, power cords and an extensive wiring modification for a previously owned balanced power conditioner utilizing Duelund 600V PolyCast wiring which was transformative. My cabling desires can be a little addictive as I have owned and evaluated 40+ brands of cabling costing more than an entire stereo system!

Over the past six months I stumbled upon a thread here on Audiogon in regards to a Helix designed cabling and as you probably already know, I just had to look a little deeper into this cable design…After a month of studying and sourcing parts, I decided to reach out to the designer/architect, Williewonka who gave more insights and philosophy on how the cable came into existence.

That conversation got the ball rolling in converting one of my KLE Duelund interconnects to Steve’s Helix designed which only entailed replacing the neutral with a Mil-Spec 16 AWG silver-plated copper wire with the neural wire being 3 times longer than the signal wire and of course the “Coiling” of the neutral wire : )

After the modification was complete, I was not sure what to expect from the Helix cabling but I was quite shocked with the results with “ZERO” burn-in time…The sound stage became much wider/deeper with a much tighter/focused image and clarity/transparency is like nothing I have ever heard in any cabling regardless of cost. In fact, I just sold a full loom of a commercially designed Helix Cable that’s renowned around the world and has more direct sale than any cable manufacturer; these $200 DIY Helix Cables walked all over them…

I believe you will hear the same results as I have and have heard back from friends who have already modified their Duelunds with the same results; WOW! Remember the cables will need 200+ hours to burn-in and settle into your system. My system is now 90% DIY Helix to include IC, SC, PC and Coax with each cabling adding its beauty of an organic and natural presentation that draws you into the fabric of the music.

You can tailor the sound of your cables using Duelund, Mundorf silver/1% gold, the outstanding Vh Audio OCC Solid Copper or Silver with Airlok Insulation or your favorite wiring and you can change it at any time…

http://www.image99.net/blog/files/category-diy-cables.html

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/difference-in-sound-between-copper-and-silver-digital-cables

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/adding-shielding-to-existing-cables

Enjoy,

Wig

128x128wig
@grannyring - re:...
Speaker cables would be far too expensive for me with this wire.
Since my experience replacing the VH Audio with the Neotech copper in my power cables has been so positive, I’m wondering if the same improvements could be achieved with the speaker cables.

i.e. the latest power able upgrade replaced 4 x 18 gauge VH Audio with Air Lok insulation with 1 x 12 gauge Neotech OCC Copper bare inside a PVC tube - the results are stunning

Would you have any thoughts as to which of the following options might be the most beneficial?

#1 - Two strands of 18 gauge Neotech £6.92+vat+p&p per meter
- basically replacing the same gauge Vh Audio wire

#2 - One strand of 14 gauge Neotech £13.86+vat+p&p per meter
- basically increasing the gauge in a single wire to double that of the 2 x 18 gauge.

#3 - One strand of 12 gauge Neotech £21.76+vat+p&p - I think this is overkill for speaker cables, but the improved performance of my power cable was quite compelling

Note: - I included prices prices just as a comparison

@rx8man - re:...
Helix Power Cable made by member Aniwolfe, that I use for the main line coming into my Inakustik conditioner that works wonders eliminating AC noise issues,

What power cables do you currently have from the power conditioner to source components?

Have you tried the switching them with the Helix cable?

Just curious ?

UPDATE FOR OTHER READERS...

Here is a link to the PVC tube I used to insulate the Live wire on the latest power cable upgrade...
https://www.homedepot.com/p/UDP-1-8-in-I-D-x-3-16-in-O-D-x-100-ft-Clear-Vinyl-Tubing-with-Dispenser-...

Whilst the temperature range (i.e. up to 160 vs. 200 Celsius) may not be up to Teflon standards, at those temperatures the tube just becomes very pliable and unsuitable for use as a pressure/water hose.

As a test - I applied considerably more heat using one of those hand gas lighters that have the "blue flame" - the tube did ignite briefly after quite a long period of time withstanding the intense heat and then went out as soon as I took the flame away.

So for me, this pipe makes a very good insulator for Power and speaker cables i.e. if you want to use bare wire for the signal/live wires. At least it WILL NOT present any issues if someone spills coffee on the cable as it would if cotton sleeve is the insulator :-)

Also - here's the link for the Neotech PVC insulated wire that is cheaper than the Teflon
http://www.acoustic-dimension.com/neotech/neotech-up-occ-hook-up-chassis-wire-page.htm

Regards - Steve

Steve I am thinking your Neotech power cord experience has much more to do with gauge and voltage carried than the sonic qualities of the two brands of wire. I think if the VH Audio wire was offered in 12 gauge would likely sound even better than Neotech. I just don’t think combining 18 gauge conductors for a power cord is ideal. Your results point to that in my opinion.

Now I happen to think 14 and 12 gauge conductors would be better for speaker cables than 18 gauge. Even if you combine two 18 gauge conductors I feel the single 12 gauge conductor would be better....within the same brand. This is based on my listening tests with several well touted brands of conductors. No matter the outer insulation the heavier gauge within each brand always sounded better with speaker cables. Improved fullness, bass drive, dynamics and midrange bloom. I would go with the 12 gauge 🤓 for moderate to high power amps with less efficient or moderately efficient speakers. Highly efficient speakers coupled with a low watt tube amp work fine with 16 or 14 gauge provided the length is under say 10 feet.

Will the 12 or 14 gauge Neotech wire sound better than two 18 gauge VH Audio conductors in your speaker cables? Really don’t know until you try. While the Neotech gauge is more to my liking will that positive outweigh the positive sonic qualities of the VH wire? Don’t know as I have not compared. I would not use less than two VH Audio 18 gauge conductors in your speaker cables however.

Question for you. Neotech sells the solid core copper wire in PVC for $2 per foot less than Teflon. Since it is the same internal wire and you are stripping off the insulation, it would seem smart to buy the PVC version of the Neotech wire. Perhaps you shared this, but I may have missed this.

Thank you so much for this power cord discovery!
Steve, my mistake as I noticed you already mentioned the Neotech PVC option. Sorry! 
@grannyring - thanks for the thoughts - as always very useful.

Initially my thought was to try 2 x 18 gauge because it would be a direct comparison of the two brands of wires

BUT - After giving this more thought, I think I am going to try a 2 x 16 gauge Neotech AND, as a separate test -  a single strand of 14 Gauge Neotech - both bare wire inside the PVC tube that I used in the power cable.

I’m thinking both these approaches will probably perform better than 2 x 18 gauge Vh Audio wires

Will get back to you once I get the wire(s)

Cheers

@rx8man - thanks for the update on your power cables

So I was wondering if you had tried replacing the Helic PC with one of the Mad Scientist cables to connect the power conditioner to the wall outlet and use the Helix PC for either a source or your amp.

If you have tried this what were your observations -preferences?

I ask because based on the various things I have tried, having the Helix Power cables connected to a component (vs. the power conditioner) has generally provided better sound.

But there are many things at play in a system, so this may not be the case in your system

Regards - Steve