Shipping. Hard Lesson.

I'm selling some high end audio gear for the estate of a relative who passed away. I've never done this before. I'm using C's List, eBay and A'gon. It has been a lot of work and not a lot of fun.

Tons of scammers on C's list but excellent experience selling to a local audiophile.

Got a sale pending here at A'gon. Not too bad.

One good experience on eBay.

But then the Bryston 9B SST2 amp sold on eBay. I had actually about decided to purchase it myself when it sold via eBay. Super nice, experienced buyer.

Took the amp to UPS. It weighs 65 pounds. Asked them to double box and was ready to pay the price but the clerk convinced me that there was no need. They would wrap it well and the box she chose was supposed to handle 85 pounds.

Well, it gets to the buyer and he sends me a picture and it looks like the box has rolled down a mountain. The handles are broken off of the amp and it is dinged all up. Have no idea if it works or not. I'm not sure double boxing would have mattered in this case.

We insured it for the price paid. Buyer was very understanding but disappointed of course. I will get paid (by UPS) what I was going to get paid anyway but both the buyer and I commiserated over a fine piece of equipment destroyed. Or at least marred.

Anyway, sorry about the long sad sop story but I will probably have other gear to ship in the near future possible even the gorgeous Aerial Acoustics 5Ts which, even thought they are bookshelf speakers, are large and heavy.

So all of this is basically to ask: Who do you use for shipping large heavy delicate audio gear?
n80
If I had a need for it, $500 would be fine.

The faceplates are not made any more, one would have to be procured from a dead unit. Same for the chassis, and back plate. A technician would have to switch it all over.

I had a rebuilt amp re-certified by Bryston once, but it was a very special case. Normally they don’t do that sort of thing. In this very unusual case... Bryston knew every inch of the history and what  had happened to it. And their tech department re-certified it (half the warranty was still left).
I might contact the guy who bought it the first time and just send it to him if he'll pay shipping.
Got the check today. Full amount. Over 2 1/2 months from the time of the claim.
I've followed this story and so ... congratulations! You ended up with the money (for an aunt?), an amp, and a renewed appreciation for your patient wife! 
Good for you.
Shame on UPS.
They've been using this tactic for years to try and discourage customers to give up on the claim. 
I've been denied a claim from them once for a heavy power amp.  They said the carton wasn't sufficient. It was shipped in the original box with all the packing. I dropped the case because at the time I was too busy at work to fight them.
I know all shipping companies have issues, but IMO Fedex is the safer choice. You might get the same run around, but I believe they ruin less packages, especially heavy the ones.