New Gold Note PH 10

I had posted a question a while ago about hearing from anyone with experience comparing the Gold Note PH 10 vs. the Bryston BP2 or Clear Audio Smart V2 phono preamps.  I never heard anything back about this subject, so I decided to just simply purchase a new PH 10 and compare it against my Clear Audio preamp.  

First impressions:  As much as I love my Clear Audio Smart V2 and in particular its sound stage and imaging qualities, I have to say that the PH 10 was considerably better at detail and picking out the instruments, especially the low and mid range ones.   The Clear Audio seemed to be a little better at the upper end imaging and the sound stage.  But keep in mind this was with the PH 10 new right out of the box.

I was told the PH 10 needs at least 50 hours of run in time to open up, so I used it for two nights and left it on for several days.  After allowing it to settle in and enjoying a lot of music, I still thought the Clear Audio had a leg up on it in the sound stage/imaging department.   So I decided to listen to a well known record to me with excellent recording and a lot of dynamic range on the PH 10, then switch the wires over to the Clear Audio (which I had not heard in several days by this time), and replay the record.   YIKES!!!  it was like a blanket was draped over my speakers.  I had become so gradually accustomed to the new PH 10 that I had not noticed the slight changes going on with the break in.  When the Clear Audio was swapped back into the system (it took me about a minute to do this), it was night and day the differences.

The PH 10 was by far a much more detailed, pronounced signature with a superior sound stage and the imaging was hands down better.  I am using it with the Audio Technica AT20ss vintage MM cartridge which has an extraordinary frequency range of 5-50K hz, so I was able to take advantage of the Enhanced RIAA curve the PH 10 has.  It is pretty outstanding.   Make sure you break things in!   I love this phono preamp.
128x128slimpikins5
@chakster,

Knock Knock!
I am considering the PH-10/PSU-10.

You have to hear it, try it. This phono stage is the most versatile for two tonearms with whatever cartridges. It is also one of the most beautiful piece of audio gear (nice design). I'm still using mine.  

Granted, typical Italian design and they do a very nice job as always (have you sliced your fingers yet on the overly sharp vent cuts on the case?  I did every-time I handled it).   But the performance doesn't really come close to the either of the Whest units I have/had.   I sold my Whest Three Signature and now have my wonderful custom 'trimmed' PS 30 RDT SE 2019.   I will say that I do like the case work on the Whest too, it's not as fancy as the PH10, but it is a very understated pleasing piece.
My fingers are fine:) There are better phono stages for much higher price, but very few can offer two MM/MC input for two tonearms connected at the same time to one phono stage. Gold Note is a complicated design. 

On the other hand the 47 Labs Phono Cube is very simple current-injection phono stage designed for low impedance MC only, this is real killer, no adjustments. Also superb design. 
Who else here concur with my sentiments....there just way too many darn phono brands to consider or own in one’s lifetime 😊

I stumbled upon another bespoke brand earlier today.....LFD from UK.  Gene Rubin spoke very highly of them. 
That is exactly why I deferred to my friend John who has owned countless phono stages, its his hobby to rotate in/out of various designs.
He was the one who chimed in with me early on about the PH 10 which he owns.  We exchanged thoughts on it and his observations were in line with mine, it was just OK, not great.  Nice mid range audio, but the low end and upper end lacked and the sound staging was very so so.   He pushed me to Whest phono stages as he told me the Titan Pro was the finest phono stage he had ever experienced, hands down.   I was not going to pay upwards of $13K for one, so I got into the mid range units which are very similar to the Titan and that was enough for me.  Now I am thinking that I just have to have a Titan Pro before I lose my hearing just so that I can say that I had one (much like flying a P-51, I do plan on that at some point before I cannot fly any longer and I am kicking myself for having turned down the opportunity once before due to the cost of the fuel at the time).  :)