Have speakers really improved within the last 20 years??

Question:

• If there is one measurement that would prove that speakers have indeed got better over the last 20 years, what would it be? 

I dont just want one example of a speaker from today that has a better measurement than another speaker from 20 years ago because that could just be a coincidence. I want to see IRREFUTABLE PROOF that most speakers today have a measured performance in at least one area that is better than most speakers 20 years ago.

When I look at a typical bookshelf speaker from 20 years ago versus one from today i see little difference. All i see is a wooden box, typically mdf with a pair of drivers in 'em. There would be a small crossover circuit inside and a bit of foam inside the box and that would be the end of the story. I would like to believe that speakers have gotten better but I see no reason to believe it. All I see is that speakers may have gotten brighter and brighter with time to dupe us into thinking we are hearing more detail. 

This challenge is open to any audiophile or speaker designer reading this.
kenjit
You are asking for measurements. Then you say audiophiles want better sound quality. These two don't have to be mutually exclusive, but they don't always go hand in hand. I don't listen to measurements, I listen to music. And if speaker A measures better, but speaker B sounds better, which one do I want?

Take all the time you need.

Oz

kenjit-

Here is a question for you do you even listen to and enjoy music?
I would guess not,  what with your endless (joyless) rants over speakers.

Give it a rest dude. 
Kenjit, why are you continuing this question. I gave the proof and case is closed. Now here’s the next question, it’s on you to provide irrefutable proof that new speakers have not improved. I give you permission to carry on the proper research needed to answer this burning question that at least one person here is dying to know. 
Have speakers really improved within the last 20 years??

The subject title is a perfectly valid question, although the "irrefutable truth" aspect - of the party either for or against - is likely a more dubious matter. I’m not saying criteria couldn’t be outlined for an assessment into this inquiry, but I doubt whether the factors chosen would be universally accepted, or would in any case ever be the whole truth.

The question itself seems to rile up a few, and that may be indicative in itself - if it weren’t for the fact that an air of redundancy seems to pervade this discussion, not least as initiated by one certain individual.
And yet: why are some of us so invested in an unwavering need to believe what’s new is necessarily better? Is it to justify the merry-go-round of new purchases? Has marketing efforts bled into consumers for an alliance so strong that what’s dictated by the industry is automatically regarded as truth? Is it vanity?

@audioguy85 --

A good design is a good design, whether old or new. I’m sure there are improvements in materials used, but that does not necessarily mean better sound, increased longevity maybe. The issue with most older speakers is the cone surround which rots and falls apart.

Agreed, and by that token it could be deduced that a new speaker would only be (potentially) better by virtue of being new, insofar it was compared to a speaker of considerable age with all the entails in regards to possible wear and tear.

Seriously, compared to a variety of new speakers of the time years ago with new speakers of today, within a comparable price range (adjusted for inflation), I guess there are both cases of evolvement in material use and digital implementation tools in particular that may come in handy sonically (and not least in an effort to streamline production and cut costs), just as well as there are cases of sonic degradation. The speaker-wheel was invented many years ago, and it has always come down to the abled individual, overall design prowess and adherence to physics that made the day.

Indeed; new or old - if it is/was well made and designed it’s a good speaker, period.
it’s on you to provide irrefutable proof that new speakers have not improved.
Why does it matter who the onus is on? We are all audiophiles that seek better sound so you should be just as concerned as I am to know if speakers have really improved. It doesnt matter whether you prove that they have improved or they havent, either way we will know whether speakers are a hoax. 

How do you propose it can be proven that speakers have not improved over the last twenty years? How do you even do that?